📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple news widget missing ios 14

I updated to iOS 14 and while the new widgets are cool, the one that is missing is for the news. I was using the beta version but when I updated to full iOS 14 suddenly I can’t add news widgets; the rest are fine. Any suggestions how to get it back? I restarted, deleted the app, reinstalled etc. Already.

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 4:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 9:33 AM

I fixed it with the following steps ( my screenshots are in Italian😃):

1) Select Modify on the bottom of the page Widget

2) Click on the on the “+” on the top of the page

3) Search for the News

4) Select how you want to see the widget scrolling on the left (1 news, 2 news, many news )

40 replies

Sep 18, 2020 12:14 PM in response to mcallister129

Hello mcallister129,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. We understand you're unable to add the News widget on your iPhone.

Widgets is a great way to gather more information with your favorite apps. We'll be happy to help.

Excellent job with the troubleshooting steps that were performed. To help isolate this behavior further, we recommend to search for the News widget in both the Home Screen and in the Today View. For the appropriate steps, please the sections that says, "Add widgets to your Home Screen" and "Add widgets to Today View": Use widgets on your iPhone and iPod touch

In addition, you'll want to make sure that News is toggled on for "Suggest App" and "Show App in Search" within your settings. To verify that, you can go to Settings > News > Siri & Search.

Please let us know if that helps.

Kind regards.

Dec 23, 2020 12:44 PM in response to mcallister129

After browsing a bit, I noticed that Apple states that, and I quote, "The Apple News app is available in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Learn what's available in your country or region." This is taken directly from https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202329.

This might explain why users like myself are not able to get the app on their devices, since I am not in any of those countries. So my question now is whether or not Apple has any future predictions regarding when will Apple News be available to a wider range of countries.

In the meantime, if anyone has any News Widget recommendation for iPadOS, please say it.

Jan 29, 2021 9:54 AM in response to mcallister129

If you've lost the News widget and your iOS language isn't English, do so. Go to Settings -> General -> Language & Region -> Select English as Language -> Select UK or US as Region. 

Go to the App Store and type News widget in the search box. Look for the big red “N” in Newsie - Trending News. Install the program. Now go left to Widgets. Press the area and edit. Press the “+ sign”. Now the News widget should be enabled again. Finally, select your language and country from the settings.

Nov 6, 2020 8:38 AM in response to mcallister129

I am a loser switched to Incompetent Apple few years back! Whatever they can not fix they call it feature and

easy use API! LOL.

I was also beta user of ios14 on my iPhone 11 pro. I have same issue. I tried all the tricks listed here, none works.

Still no News widget. I even hard reset (mistake!) thinking god knows what else I am missing. Still did not

fix it. No News widget! I just updated to ios14.2, still no News Widget!

On top of it I filed closed to 30 bugs, none of which are fully fixed in 3 months I tested this half (may be less) baked,

fully rushed ios14 which barely provide anything new.

They added wonderful Automation which can automate most useless things and few useful things which only work

halfway!

Such a shame!

Nov 8, 2020 2:17 PM in response to madalenaPerna

I did the same, but there’s another problem there. It won’t take you to the summary of news for everything you follow (I follow CNN, BBC, Politico, etc). For some reason after this update - it defaults me to Fashion topic and doesn’t allow me to switch out of it.

every time I open my iPhone now, I see the latest trends of fashion and some news about Kardashians instead of something more important.

I don’t understand why it’s taking so long for Apple to fix this issue.

apple news widget missing ios 14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.