Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watchOS 7 sleep mode not working

The first night I slept with my watch, the lock screen dimmed. Now when I set sleep mode or at bedtime in my sleep schedule, my watch says it’s in sleep mode but it doesn’t dim. Is there a setting to change this?

I have rebooted, reset, unpaired/paired and tried a different watch set up as new.

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2020 10:17 PM

Sleep mode is now working on my watch.

watchOS 7.0.2 didn’t fix it

Updated to iOS 14.2 Public Beta 3 today and sleep mode is now working. It entered sleep mode according to my schedule, the display locks and dims.

31 replies

Sep 19, 2020 8:15 AM in response to ryan78sjc

Hello ryan78sjc,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that the screen of your Apple Watch is not dimming. Depending on the model Apple Watch you have, the Always On feature may be enabled. This article has information on how to enable Always On and the same steps can be used to disable it:

Turn on and wake Apple Watch - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Sep 19, 2020 3:57 PM in response to ryan78sjc

ryan78sjc,

Do you have the Wind Down time set? If not, try setting it and see if the screen dims as it should when sleep mode turns on.

Track your sleep with Apple Watch - Apple Support

"To reduce distractions before your scheduled bedtime, sleep mode turns on during Wind Down. Sleep mode turns off the watch display and turns on Do Not Disturb."

Take Care.

Sep 25, 2020 2:17 AM in response to Kermit878

Update to 7.0.1 on Watch and iPhone made no difference for me either.

Should we try to find a common denominator? It seems like this is a pretty uncommon bug, which makes me think that it could be caused by an uncommon setting. Can you think of any setting on your device that matches this description?

I can mention a couple on my own devices:

• I use a different language on my iPhone and Watch. I have however tried to change this so that both are the same, and it did not fix the bug.
  • My iPhone is under management by my employer, but the only policy enforced is that I cannot use a 4-digit code.

watchOS 7 sleep mode not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.