Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch 3 not enough space to install watchos 7, cant delete anything.

Hi

Im getting an error that I cannot install watch os7 on my aw3 cause IT need 3.1gb free space. Aw shows I have 3gb now and nothing else to remove. No pics music apps etc.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 11:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 12:26 AM

Same here...literally just deleted every single app that I could on my watch (can't remove apple ones), there is no music, or no pictures stored on my watch and it's sitting at 3.0 GB out of 4.7 GB

Maybe if Apple allowed us to remove some of their unnecessary apps that are forced onto our watch

I guess this is one way to force people to upgrade 🤦‍♂️

75 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 12:26 AM in response to w00cashxx

Same here...literally just deleted every single app that I could on my watch (can't remove apple ones), there is no music, or no pictures stored on my watch and it's sitting at 3.0 GB out of 4.7 GB

Maybe if Apple allowed us to remove some of their unnecessary apps that are forced onto our watch

I guess this is one way to force people to upgrade 🤦‍♂️

Nov 21, 2020 6:05 AM in response to Fu__ingFrustrated

I keep hearing from people on this forum, the Mac Rumors forum, and from apple support personnel that I should submit feed back about this and a couple other ongoing issues ( https://www.apple.com/feedback/). And I’ve done it a handful of times in the last year but the problems remain. What happened to the old Apple?? The Apple that made sure things worked and when they didn’t work they made sure it got fixed ASAP? Steve must be rolling in his grave these days. It is not just this issue, the pattern repeats for other products and software issues. Worse yet, the support process has become worthless- I have come to the conclusion that one should only call or chat them if you’re prepared to lose all of your data and settings because they aren’t taught how to fix problems any other way. It is so disappointing to have been a loyal Apple customer my entire adult life and see the excellent qualities that used to define the company ebbing away.

Feb 28, 2021 9:28 AM in response to w00cashxx

I just got off the phone with Apple support. They told me this is a known issue and are tracking it internally based on Feedback posted at Feedback - Apple Watch - Apple

Representative told me there are other watches that run into this problem as well. Seems like a chronic problem, but I was asked to submit feedback.

I find it shameful, Apple doesn't publish this as a known issue, wasting Apple support staff time and customer's.

Mar 22, 2021 6:56 PM in response to w00cashxx

For updating watchOS from 7.2 to 7.3.2, I found that restarting my iPhone and closing all of its open apps did the trick.

Here's how it went down for me...

• When I updated my iPhone from 14.4 to 14.4.1, it automatically tried to install the new watchOS. This is when the space error came up on my watch. I was busy, so just dismissed it.
  • Later in the day, I noticed my iPhone was missing some app push notifications, so I restarted iPhone. To be thorough, given that iOS re-launches all open apps on a power off/power on, I also closed all running apps including the Watch app. (Reminder: to get to the app switcher, for iPhone 12, swipe up from the bottom of the screen. For older models, double press the Home button. Then, swipe up on an app card to close it.) I had 15-20 running apps.
  • As I was checking out the Health app before I cleared it away too, I received a popup that a new Apple Watch was now associated with my Apple ID. This was unexpected. I dismissed the message.
  • I then opened the Watch app my iPhone, noted that it no longer said I had a pending Watch version update (the red circle notification did not show), and went to General > Software Update within the app.
  • The update was found and installing it worked this time: it was downloaded to Watch, prepared, and installed. Yay!
  • FYI, after the update, I confirmed in iPhone Settings > [My Name] that there is indeed only one Watch associated with my Apple ID.

Apr 26, 2021 1:57 PM in response to dontpanic1979

I found a solution that seems to work...

1. Use the app on the iPhone to "erase all content and settings". This will generate a backup of the watch and then unpair the watch.
  2. Re-pair the watch setting it up as a new watch (don't use the backup)
  3. Install the OS update
  4. Once the watch installs the new OS update, once again use the app on the iPhone to "erase all content and settings" which will do another backup and unpair the watch
  5. Re-pair the watch this time restoring from the backup that was written during step 1

The watch should now have the latest OS and also all the previous information. Overall this process took me over 4+ hours :(

Apr 27, 2021 2:44 PM in response to w00cashxx

I‘ve been through all these tips with the previous Watch OS update (7.3) where I succeeded after a full reset unpairing and then re configuring everything.

Today the 7.4 update dropped and I expected the same issues - sure enough I was short of space. I did the full reset, re-paired and once it had completed the pairing it was already over the space limit!! Tried several things - eventually thought I‘d set up with a different apple id - but the setup for someone else option does not work with Apple Watch 3.

My storage was all eaten up after pairing - so I thought my Apple profile might be an issue. Long story short:

On iPhone

• check your phone and watch is backed up.
  • sign out (settings -> your name -> sign out) <<< This is the novel approach
  • watch app factory reset
  • skip as many sign in / setup options as you can
  • wait for the initial sync to complete <<< As phone is signed out there is much less to sync!!
  • update watch os

Now you can restore from back up or re sign in on iphone and watch.

I also had to re setup and authorize my credit cards in Wallet.

Steve

Sep 17, 2020 7:57 AM in response to gffletch

So... after restarting... it took a couple of hours to erase all the data. Immediately after restart I had 2.8GB free; a couple hours later I had 3.2GB free. Of course installing the OS is having it's own challenges... can't verify the download... need to re-download... so far this is turning into a 1/2day event just to install the new OS :)

Sep 21, 2020 11:38 AM in response to w00cashxx

I was able to resolve this by going to the profiles installed on my watch and removing the WatchOS Beta profile I had on there. You can find and remove this profile from the Watch app on the phone or directly from the watch itself. That freed up enough space. I similarly had to remove the iOS 13 beta profile from my iPhone for it to even see iOS14.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Watch 3 not enough space to install watchos 7, cant delete anything.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.