Question:

Question: iPhone camera not working after iOS 14 update

Hello... after I updated my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 14, my camera acts up. It doesn't load the camera. I then try to turn on the flashlight but it doesn't work either. Sometimes, I try to repeatedly turn on and off the flashlight until suddenly it works. I then come back to the camera and keep switching the camera modes, and rarely, it functions. Once I exit it an try the camera on an app though, it doesn't work again. Restarting didn't help my problem.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 12:19 AM

Question marked as Helpful

Sep 17, 2020 1:41 AM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

Hi, you can check this: If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

You can restore your phone as new:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

If the issue persists, you can take your phone to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app.

Sep 17, 2020 1:41 AM

Sep 17, 2020 3:58 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I’ve had the same issue, and the microphone didn’t work since iOS 13 (iPhone 7), I’ve fixed it by removing the NFC Tag Reader from the control center, I think it somehow interferes with the camera and flash. To disable it you need to:

1. Open Settings app on your home screen.
  2. Scroll down until you find Control Center.
  3. Scroll until you find NFC Tag Reader.
  4. Tap the small (-) sign and press “Remove”.

I hope this helps.

Sep 17, 2020 3:58 PM

Sep 17, 2020 10:14 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

same issue and mic stopped working in ios13 for my iphone 7. however i found a temporary solution for the camera app. this may or may not work for all.

step 1: unlock your phone

step 2: turn on the flashlight from control center. it most likely won’t turn on but the icon would say it’s on.

step 3: open the camera app (not from the control center) and wait for 7-12 seconds and it should work.

~Kristoffer30

Sep 17, 2020 10:14 PM

Sep 18, 2020 2:15 AM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

Same issue - iPhone 7 Plus

My 2nd 7 Plus, 1st one had the microphone issue as well, and the 2nd also had a broken microphone after a few months (not new, passed over from a family member).

Now after iOS 14 update, camera has the black image issue as well, not just isolated to the iPhone camera app.

Tried: Restarting iPhone, other suggestions that are also in this thread

Contacted support, spoke with advisors and senior advisors, got a diagnostics run which concluded no hardware issue, reccomended to factory reset and restore the phone, which I took the pain to do. Not a fix.

Sep 18, 2020 2:15 AM

Sep 17, 2020 6:50 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I am having the exact same issue with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Updated to ios14 and none of my rear facing cameras or the flash/flashlight are working (get a black screen in camera app with cameras). Front facing camera works. Occasionally I can get a live view out of the telephoto camera by switching between the three rear cameras, but then the image does not focus and I cannot take photos.

I’ve force quit camera app, force quit all other apps, restarted phone, done soft reset, erased all content and settings and restored from backup, and (at suggestion of apple phone service) connected the phone to my MacBook Pro and restored from the computer (which reinstalls ios14). Still have same issue with rear cameras/flash/flashlight not working.

Sep 17, 2020 6:50 PM

Sep 17, 2020 9:31 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I spoke to Apple about this. I chatted with an advisor yesterday, and called a senior advisor today. Both didn't wield results. They suggested that we wait for an upcoming update. They have however informed the engineers about this problem and are working on it as we speak. Many have also reported the same issue too. I hope they will ACTUALLY fix this in the next update and not break other features too. My microphone stopped working after iOS 13 too I think.

Sep 17, 2020 9:31 PM

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Sep 17, 2020 1:41 AM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

Hi, you can check this: If the camera or flash on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working

You can restore your phone as new:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

If the issue persists, you can take your phone to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Book an appointment on getsupport.apple.com or use the Apple Support app.

Sep 17, 2020 1:41 AM

Reply Helpful (9)

Apr 10, 2021 1:19 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I have noticed that if I open control center and wait for the NFC icon to flash (which it doesn't always do) then the camera and flash will work for a period of time. If I wait, it stops working again and it stops working if I reboot. It seems that when I get it working it will work just fine for a number of minutes before it stops working.

This phone was purchased new and the only thing done to it was the Apple Store replaced the battery in December of 2018. I tested my restore on a different iPhone 7 and it's fine. So, there seems to be something specific about a few iPhone 7's that 14 doesn't like but 13 is fine with. Dunno if something was disturbed when having Apple replace the battery caused this or if that's totally unrelated.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 10, 2021 1:19 PM

Reply Helpful (3)

Sep 17, 2020 1:33 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I have the exact same issue. I solved it by downgrading to iOS 13 :(. I already contacted apple about the issue but they couldn't help me either. Guess it is waiting for newer version of iOS 14

Sep 17, 2020 1:33 PM

Reply Helpful (22)

Sep 17, 2020 3:58 PM in response to tristafé In response to tristafé

I’ve had the same issue, and the microphone didn’t work since iOS 13 (iPhone 7), I’ve fixed it by removing the NFC Tag Reader from the control center, I think it somehow interferes with the camera and flash. To disable it you need to:

1. Open Settings app on your home screen.
  2. Scroll down until you find Control Center.
  3. Scroll until you find NFC Tag Reader.
  4. Tap the small (-) sign and press “Remove”.

I hope this helps.

Sep 17, 2020 3:58 PM

Reply Helpful (26)
User profile for user: tristafé

Question: iPhone camera not working after iOS 14 update