Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 - clock widget Bug

The clock widget is displaying incorrect time. See the time at the upper left corner and the clock widget.

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 11:44 PM

With iOS 14.2 on my iPhone XS, it seems that time is always correct (which was not with earlier 14.x), BUT once the background switches to dark after sunset it does not switch back to white the morning after. Manually toggling the Date/time options 12/24 hrs or Manual/Automatic resets the correct daytime background.

52 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2020 11:44 PM in response to Jet-iP5s

With iOS 14.2 on my iPhone XS, it seems that time is always correct (which was not with earlier 14.x), BUT once the background switches to dark after sunset it does not switch back to white the morning after. Manually toggling the Date/time options 12/24 hrs or Manual/Automatic resets the correct daytime background.

Sep 17, 2020 1:22 AM in response to StanleyG.

Heres the instructions for a hard restart.

• iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons until you see the Apple logo.

Dec 10, 2020 2:13 AM in response to errol40

Hi, actually the sync issue (wrong time) has not shown up any more on my iPhone XS since installation of iOS 14.2 (smart small widget stack clock + weather on home screen). However, the following problems are ALWAYS present:

1. The clock background correctly switches to dark @ sunset but DOES NOT SWITCH automatically BACK to white @ dawn the morning after.
  2. Changing city causes the widget to freeze (hands not moving)

Both issues are solved by manually toggling the 12/24hr switch in Settings->General->Date and Time: background goes back to white and/or the widget clock restarts with the correct time

Sep 22, 2020 12:00 PM in response to DeBishman

It would seem that the Clock widget does not run while the iPhone is locked. The widget gets suspended until the phone is unlocked again. I had both the app and the widget synched for as long as I left the display on. After locking the phone and coming back later, the time difference was the amount of time the iPhone was locked. At least this is my own personal observation.

Nov 28, 2020 4:05 PM in response to StanleyG.

I preformed the hard reset and then selected the clock widget with 4 faces, the hands were moving this time finally. However to test the longevity of this fix, I removed and re-placed the widget only to see that the hands were back to a stationary position. I know I could leave the widget as is after hard reset but I wanted to see if it would still work after the phone is reset or battery ran out and turned on again but no. Just a temporary fix, I’m hoping they release a bug fix in a software update. :(

Dec 9, 2020 9:29 PM in response to mrbobbo

So after reporting the bug here earlier ... I've run the widget for a while now.

And strangely, without any restarts or anything else to "help", just leaving the widget on my home screen and accepting it ... it's gotten better over time to the point now that it's perfectly fine.

I'm wondering if there's an adaptive process that controls how often a widget is allowed to refresh, and that for the clock it's initially bad, but adapts to being continuously on the home screen.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

iOS 14 - clock widget Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.