Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Try to create a bootable USB

I try to create a bootle USB for my older iMac. I erased the HDD of that iMac and it was on EL capitain OSX. I downloaded the OSX from apple and found a lot of useful tutorials to do it. But the problem is that all tutorials explain that i have to find the osx app after opening the install file (and stop the installation). But my current macbook is on Catalina so I don't get that far.

Using the InstallESD.dmg doesn't work for me because I can't restore it thru disk utility, I get a "Could not validate sizes – Operation not permitted. The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 1.)" tried some tutorials to bypass this but with no succes. ;-( I just need a bootable USB. Can Anyone help me in the right direction or has a bootable image I can download?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 1:55 AM

The new InstallMacOSX.dmg download for El Capitan requires you to open that

to InstallMacOSX.pkg, you have probably done that.

The next bit can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

Any mac that came preinstalled with a newer macOS like Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina

will refuse to do this.

When you open the InstallMacOSX.pkg an installation window will open,

this does not install El Capitan but creates the Install OS X El Capitan.app

in your Applications folder.

But if your current MacBook that has Catalina cannot run El Capitan as described above you will

get an error saying Mac OS X El Capitan cannot be installed on this mac, or something similar.

Do you have another mac or can you borrow another mac that you know is capable of running

El Capitan.

Once you have the Install OS X El Capitan.app int he Applications folder then you will be able to create

a bootable USB installer.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 1:55 AM in response to WETWEWD

The new InstallMacOSX.dmg download for El Capitan requires you to open that

to InstallMacOSX.pkg, you have probably done that.

The next bit can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

Any mac that came preinstalled with a newer macOS like Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave or Catalina

will refuse to do this.

When you open the InstallMacOSX.pkg an installation window will open,

this does not install El Capitan but creates the Install OS X El Capitan.app

in your Applications folder.

But if your current MacBook that has Catalina cannot run El Capitan as described above you will

get an error saying Mac OS X El Capitan cannot be installed on this mac, or something similar.

Do you have another mac or can you borrow another mac that you know is capable of running

El Capitan.

Once you have the Install OS X El Capitan.app int he Applications folder then you will be able to create

a bootable USB installer.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

Sep 17, 2020 2:12 AM in response to WETWEWD

Although I'm sure you already got some of this I wanted to provide a step-by-step:

1. Download the InstallMacOSXdmg from the link in Step #4 here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886
  2. Inside you'll find a "package" file (InstallMacOSX.pkg). Run that file and it will bring up a wizard. This wizard will create the actual "Install OS X El Capitan.app" in your Applications folder. This is what is required to have for the instructions (the how-to guide linked in Step #6) to work.
  3. Erase an 16GB of larger USB flash drive. Life will be much easier if you give it the name: MyVolume (exactly that, no spaces before, after, or in between).
  4. Then you open a Terminal window by typing in Terminal from the spotlight magnifying search icon.
  5. In terminal (if you erased your USB flash drive as I advised in Step #4) you can copy the "El Capitan" line in step three of this document (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372) and paste it into terminal and hit enter.
  6. It may act like it's doing nothing other than starting the command for several minutes, but then it should show you a progress bar.

You should now have a bootable USB with 10.11 El Capitan.

Also, I don't believe you are prohibited from the running the package file (InstallMacOSX.pkg) to create the actual install app (in Applications folder) just because your machine is on Catalina and your hardware doesn't support something as old as OS X 10.11. You just can't run the actual installer (Install OS X El Capitan.app)...which of course you don't need or want to, not on your working Mac with Catalina, as you just need access to the files to be present in order for the Terminal command to work properly.

Sep 17, 2020 5:43 AM in response to WETWEWD

Yes, that should be fine, but how are they getting the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

Also make sure that this Install OS X El Capitan.app you are getting from 'someone'

was downloaded from Apple after October 2019.

Any El Capitan installers prior to October 2019 have an in valid certificate meaning

they will not install. There is a workaround though, so if that is all you can get

then get back in touch and I will tell you how.

Sep 17, 2020 8:23 AM in response to WETWEWD

My bad, I guess I've always been lucky running this on Catalina but on older machines. It looks like you have to jump through some hoops but supposedly you can do it: https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/379603/how-do-i-create-el-capitan-installer-on-a-catalina-or-post-el-capitan-installe

(skip down past the first instructions to the longer steps 1-6)

I've not verified this but it does look pretty solid.

Try to create a bootable USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.