Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there a red dot next to battery percentage on iPhone?

I just noticed a red dot next to my battery percentage symbol when I was making a WhatsApp call. This is the first time I’m seeing this ! I just downloaded IOS 14 today. Can someone kindly enlighten me 🙏🏾

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 2:20 PM

There is a red dot beside my battery on the screen of my Apple iPhone. How do I get this to disappear? Why is it on?

42 replies

Mar 15, 2021 10:47 AM in response to blutoman1970

blutoman1970 wrote:

I too started noticing it and in most contexts a red dot (like on any audio recording device) means “Record”.

Maybe the apple software engineers are too young to know this???

Another icon or colour would be much more self explanatory????

Just a suggestion.

In many contexts, it means a hot (or live) mic, not necessarily that anything is being recorded. But maybe you're too young to know that. ;-)

You can let Apple know you'd like to see something different here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 12, 2020 11:28 AM in response to MzLegz

MzLegz wrote:

The red dot showed up on my Apple watch 4 and phone at the same time a few days ago. Apparently after latest update. I just searched support and it’s was because I had a message on my watch. Swipe down on watch to get message. Red dot is now gone from both devices.

That is a completely different issue than the subject of this thread.

Feb 25, 2021 7:26 AM in response to Limitlesslupa

Limitlesslupa wrote:

How does one get rid of this 🔴 dot?
I feel someone is invading my privacy
Is there any way to turn it off?

There is a very easy way to turn it off. Never use anything that utilizes the microphone. This would include, Siri, voice memos, FaceTime, phone calls. If you are ok with losing that functionality, you will not see the dot.

Why is there a red dot next to battery percentage on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.