Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Photos not work in iPadOS 14.0?

Updated iPad Pro (11") to iPadOS 14.0 this morning.

First look at Photos on the upgraded iPad looked interesting [but they still haven't fixed the Black image problem] but it was odd how it opened in an 'Albums' folder just showing 'Recents' and 'Favourites', and you had to touch a Back Arrow to Photos. Anyway an extensive folder list seemed promising.

However, a second look at Photos and the window abruptly closed, throwing the view back to Home screen. Repeated attempts were the same. Now the screen goes black, Photos seems to shut down [but goes into the background] and the Home screen is displayed. So I am unable to see any content.

Any clues/leads please?

NB Photos is not available in the list of Topics to tag posts with!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:17 AM

A forced restart of your iPad is recommended- as this may resolve an isolated problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 8:17 AM in response to Comatose Marmoset

A forced restart of your iPad is recommended- as this may resolve an isolated problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Sep 17, 2020 9:14 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks LotusPilot,

I’ve tried Force Restart a couple of times now and the iPad showed me completely empty ‘Recents’ and ‘Favourites’ folders but still disappears when I try to get to the Photos. Though now it is disappearing so fast I don’t get the impression of a black screen before the Home Screen shows. The app i still open and I can navigate to it but it just disappears if I try to get to the Photos. Storage indicates there is 19.7GB of data inPhotos.

On the iPad, in the ‘Album’ window I have added a new Album ‘Test’ and been able to select images and put them in the new album but as soon as I try to navigate away from the ‘Album’ page to the rest of Photos the app hides.

I have taken images with the iPad camera and can navigate from the Camera app to Photos where I can see the new images in the ‘All Photos’ folder - this gave me access to selection by Years etc and an icon the looked like a Finder Folder screen, suggesting it would take me the Photos Folder navigation page. No Such luck, Photos just skittered away. And now it won’t appear, even navigating through the camera app. Probably have to Force Restart again.

Do you have any other ideas or should I just get on the phone to Apple Support?

Sep 24, 2020 2:42 AM in response to dane125

No, dane125, "forced restart" did not work. I am using quotation marks because an Apple Support Adviser [ASA] told me off for calling it that. Not sure why [and they didn't elucidate] as another ASA told me about it initially.

Anyhoo, after a few "forced restarts" didn't solve the issue I tried a restore from back up and the iPad threw a fit so it eventually had to be set back to factory settings. And that seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed.

[bit of a long and boring route that one, but it's good to have a clear out every now and then, isn't it? And hej, I haven't done that since Apple last messed things up last November, with their killer Black Picture Creation Project. But I am 'time-rich' so getting used to restoring everything is a bonus?]

Blah Apple.

Need to check my heart rate, HaHa. Any device for that?

All this, just because I don't want to throw everything up into their Cloud ...

Sep 26, 2020 4:39 AM in response to dane125

Hi dane125,

How badly is Photos on the iPad misbehaving? If it is 'closing' down and hiding itself every time you try and look at it then I am not sure what else you can try. I assume you are syncing the iPad with a computer like me so I only have two other suggestions:

1) Unsync Photos i.e. untick the sync Photos box on the Photos tab in Finder when the iPad is connected to your computer. Then carry out a sync. That should clear out the photos on the iPad.

Then eject the iPad and do a 'forced restart on it'. For good measure also turn it off ,w wait a few minutes and turn it back on. Once again connect it to your computer and re-tick the photos-sync box and do a sync. This time leave the iPad connected overnight - this allows the Photos app to curate your photos collection. [it does need a long time for that and it has to be connected to power].

2) Phone Apple Support!

best of luck.

Oct 13, 2020 1:12 AM in response to suzebear

Provided you have a back up of the iPad (either in iCloud or on a computer) then you can restore from that. Once the device is back to factory settings the set up process walks you through the process and if you have an iPhone on the same ID it uses that to ‘clone’ the ID over to the iPad.

Personally, I took it as an opportunity to clear out a lot of trash and didn’t do a full restore but I did have a lot of time on my hands what with one thing and another ...

best of luck.

Oct 22, 2020 10:51 AM in response to dane125

That's a shame, dane125.

It's possible, that for me after setting the iPad back to factory settings, because I set it up as new, and didn't restore from a back up, that it worked for me. It's possible there is something in your back-up that is causing the problem. I recommend getting in touch with Apple Support. They can do remote diagnosis and get to the heart of the problem.

Good luck.

Why does Photos not work in iPadOS 14.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.