Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MMS; Message Failed to Send; Receive Old Texts Randomly

I have frequent problems with sending group texts while at home. I get frequent “message failed to send” alerts, and it takes multiple attempts for the message to get through. I also will receive texts in group messages late. My phone will sometimes receive messages that are clearly several hours or even days old, often in large groups. Sometimes, I’ll receive 20-30 messages at once.

My AT&T network signal at home is very spotty, 0-1 bars. However, I have excellent wifi. I have WiFi Calling enabled, and I have no trouble making or receiving phone calls. iMessages work with no problems. It is only with SMS and especially MMS messages, which I thought were also supposed to work over WiFi calling.

I have an iPhone 11 with AT&T.

I have the latest software. For everything.

WiFi Calling, Send as SMS, MMS Messaging, and Group Messaging are all turned on.

I have tried turning these off and back on again.

I have tried turning off cellular and turning it back on again.

Thanks again.

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:58 AM

sherrad.hayes wrote:

My AT&T network signal at home is very spotty, 0-1 bars. However, I have excellent wifi. I have WiFi Calling enabled, and I have no trouble making or receiving phone calls. iMessages work with no problems. It is only with SMS and especially MMS messages, which I thought were also supposed to work over WiFi calling.

SMS and MMS require a cellular signal. SMS will generally send even if the signal is weak but it does need something. MMS requires more bandwidth. Having WiFi calling enabled won't help. You might want to talk to AT&T to see if they offer any options to improve the cell signal in your house.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 8:58 AM in response to sherrad.hayes

sherrad.hayes wrote:

SMS and MMS require a cellular signal. SMS will generally send even if the signal is weak but it does need something. MMS requires more bandwidth. Having WiFi calling enabled won't help. You might want to talk to AT&T to see if they offer any options to improve the cell signal in your house.

Sep 17, 2020 9:07 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks for the help! That’s what I thought, but AT&T was saying something different. While looking into a MicroCell booster for my house, I found this

“AT&T has discontinued sales of new AT&T MicroCells. You can use Wi-Fi Calling to talk and text over an active Wi-Fi connection where it’s hard for a strong cellular signal to reach.”

MMS; Message Failed to Send; Receive Old Texts Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.