Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage Mentions & Group Reply

I have a iphone 8 Plus with new iOS 14 but for some reason can not get the New Feature "MENTION" to work. I put an @ before a name.... nothing, I type in a name... no popup to choose from, Oh and the "REPLY" option in group chat to reply to a certain person isn't coming up either, any suggestions?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2020 12:43 AM

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I did read the FULL question (Because I too had the same issue) . . . And as I stated in my response (If you read it CLEARLY) was what I did to get it to work (After searching the issue on Google) because I thought I was doing it the right way from the start! In my case my contacts have nicknames with emojis at the end, so that is how I had to type it in exactly in order for the mention to work! For example: Contact: Blessed🥰😘❤️, then to tag the person in the group chat I had to put @Blessed🥰😘❤️ (And then the person’s picture pops up—If they have one) and then send the message . . . My mistake was I was only putting part of the person’s name without the emojis (And it would be the same way if your contact is by first name only or first and last name)! Idk why your mention isn’t working, but I was only trying to help in case you made the same mistake that I made (Thinking I was doing it right initially) . . . So you don’t have to be RUDE, even if you’re in your feelings (Because all that’s going to do is make people clapback at you in the same manner)! Once again, sorry if it wasn’t helpful to you, but also try and recognize when people mean well and don’t “take their head off” because you didn’t get the response you needed! Take care & God Bless!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2020 12:43 AM in response to dalemcnelly

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I did read the FULL question (Because I too had the same issue) . . . And as I stated in my response (If you read it CLEARLY) was what I did to get it to work (After searching the issue on Google) because I thought I was doing it the right way from the start! In my case my contacts have nicknames with emojis at the end, so that is how I had to type it in exactly in order for the mention to work! For example: Contact: Blessed🥰😘❤️, then to tag the person in the group chat I had to put @Blessed🥰😘❤️ (And then the person’s picture pops up—If they have one) and then send the message . . . My mistake was I was only putting part of the person’s name without the emojis (And it would be the same way if your contact is by first name only or first and last name)! Idk why your mention isn’t working, but I was only trying to help in case you made the same mistake that I made (Thinking I was doing it right initially) . . . So you don’t have to be RUDE, even if you’re in your feelings (Because all that’s going to do is make people clapback at you in the same manner)! Once again, sorry if it wasn’t helpful to you, but also try and recognize when people mean well and don’t “take their head off” because you didn’t get the response you needed! Take care & God Bless!

Sep 20, 2020 1:22 PM in response to dalemcnelly

Hi there, dalemcnelly!

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! It sounds like you're having an issue using inline replies and mentions. Check out this article to Use inline replies and mentions in Messages on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. For mentions:

"How to use mentions

1. Open a Messages conversation.
  2. Type a contact's name, then tap the name when it appears. Or type @ followed by their name.

Depending on your contact's settings, a mention can notify them even if they've muted the conversation. To change this notification setting, go to Settings > Messages, then turn Notify Me on or off."

Per the article, there will not be a pop-up unless you tap on the name you have typed.

For the issue with the option to reply not coming up in a group message for a specific contact, is this contact using an Apple device or non-Apple device? if they are Apple users, be sure they have installed iOS 14 on their device and if you still don't have the option to reply inline to them, we recommend checking out this article with steps for How to force an app to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and quit the Messages app. Once it’s closed, Restart your iPhone and test to see if the issues are still going on with that contact.

Let us know the results and have a great day!

Oct 14, 2020 4:02 PM in response to Community User

I wished people would READ THE FULL QUESTION before they respond, everyone is responding with WHAT IVE ALREADY TRIED AND IT DIDN'T WORK!!!!!!

IVE TRIED THE @ before the full name, just their full name, just their first name, made sure it was a chat of more than 3 people, etc........ITS NOT WORKING!!!!!

Anybody have any suggestions besides what I stated that I’ve already tried in my ORIGINAL POST?

Oct 14, 2020 2:56 PM in response to dalemcnelly

Not sure if you were able to figure out your problem as yet, but I had the same problem until I looked up the issue on Google. The reason I was having a problem with the mention feature was because I wasn’t typing my contacts name exactly as I have them stored in my phone. So once I typed @and then their full contact name, the mention feature was activated! Sorry if this isn’t helpful to you, but I thought I was doing it right until I realized my mishap with the contacts names. Take care & God Bless!

Nov 14, 2020 10:25 PM in response to xyngz

I already figured out the problem (A little over a month ago) as I stated in my response above. I was trying to help the person who posted the issue after I found the solution to the problem I was having (Maybe they made the same mistake I did, and thinking that I was doing it right initially). Thank you anyway, take care & God Bless!

Nov 28, 2020 9:58 AM in response to dalemcnelly

hi! i was having the same issues as well, and i realized the problem was it doesn’t work if the person is saved with an emoji in their name 😅 it used to work for me (i have almost everyone in my contact saved only as emojis and i was previously able to @ people normally) but it suddenly stopped working. hopefully it will get fixed. hope this helped!

iMessage Mentions & Group Reply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.