Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghost Storage on MacBook

Hello

Trying to clear some storage on my Mac, I had deleted this football manager app and its accompanying files, but when I'm in storage, I have this ghost file thats taking up over 5gb, the file definitely isn't there as I've deleted the folders it belonged in, any ideas?

Also what's the best way to remove "Other" in storage too..

Thanks

MacBook

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 3:00 PM

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If necessary rebuild the Spotlight index for the hard drive and check to see if the file remains or not: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 3:00 PM in response to liamyoung

Boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

If necessary rebuild the Spotlight index for the hard drive and check to see if the file remains or not: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Ghost Storage on MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.