Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GHOST FILES IN MACBOOK

I am not sure what to do. I tried deleting them all but they keep recovering after a while. I got this MacBook about 6 months ago. I checked but there is no unrecognized application either.

Kindly help. like these

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 2:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 10:19 PM

Do you use Spotify? Then maybe it is the Spotify cache files. Here is a post which seems identical to your issue with similar folder names.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-created-a-bunch-of-mostly-empty-folders-on-my-external/td-p/4395857

Did you modify the path for Spotify's files? If not, then maybe the preference file became corrupted and you can delete the Spotify .plist preference file in the "~/Library" folder. Try looking in "~/Library/Preferences" first. After deleting the preference file, log out of the user account and log back in to make sure the app recreates a new default preference file.

If this is not the problem, then you can try running the following command from the Terminal app to see if it catches the app which is creating those items:

sudo  fs_usage  -w  ~/Downloads  |  grep  "$HOME/Downloads"  |  tee  -a  ~/Desktop/download_folder_log.txt

You will be prompted for your admin password, but nothing will appear on the screen while typing the password. Press the "Return" key to submit the password and also at the end of the line to execute the command.

This command will monitor the Downloads folder and display the process that modifies items in the Downloads folder. The command will also save a copy of the information shown within the Terminal app to a file on the Desktop called "download_folder_log.txt" so that you can scroll through it if it takes a while before any changes are discovered in the Downloads folder.

Keep the Terminal window open until new items appear in the Downloads folder or until you decide to give up. This utility will only identify standard apps making modifications to the specified folder. If some low level utility is creating those items, then this command may not detect the changes to the Downloads folder. To stop monitoring the Downloads folder press Control + C to terminate this command.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2021 10:19 PM in response to vismaya67

Do you use Spotify? Then maybe it is the Spotify cache files. Here is a post which seems identical to your issue with similar folder names.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-created-a-bunch-of-mostly-empty-folders-on-my-external/td-p/4395857

Did you modify the path for Spotify's files? If not, then maybe the preference file became corrupted and you can delete the Spotify .plist preference file in the "~/Library" folder. Try looking in "~/Library/Preferences" first. After deleting the preference file, log out of the user account and log back in to make sure the app recreates a new default preference file.

If this is not the problem, then you can try running the following command from the Terminal app to see if it catches the app which is creating those items:

sudo  fs_usage  -w  ~/Downloads  |  grep  "$HOME/Downloads"  |  tee  -a  ~/Desktop/download_folder_log.txt

You will be prompted for your admin password, but nothing will appear on the screen while typing the password. Press the "Return" key to submit the password and also at the end of the line to execute the command.

This command will monitor the Downloads folder and display the process that modifies items in the Downloads folder. The command will also save a copy of the information shown within the Terminal app to a file on the Desktop called "download_folder_log.txt" so that you can scroll through it if it takes a while before any changes are discovered in the Downloads folder.

Keep the Terminal window open until new items appear in the Downloads folder or until you decide to give up. This utility will only identify standard apps making modifications to the specified folder. If some low level utility is creating those items, then this command may not detect the changes to the Downloads folder. To stop monitoring the Downloads folder press Control + C to terminate this command.

Dec 3, 2021 9:25 PM in response to vismaya67

vismaya67 Said:

"GHOST FILES IN MACBOOK: I am not sure what to do. I tried deleting them all but they keep recovering after a while. I got this MacBook about 6 months ago. I checked but there is no unrecognized application either. Kindly help. like these"

-------

Try iCloud Drive:

See if you can remotely use iCloud Drive.

Enable iCloud Drive:

1. Go to: System Preferences
  2. Click: your name (top item)
  3. Select: iCloud Drive
  4. Proceed form there with enabling it

Then, Delete them Remotely:

Once enabled go here and see if you can delete it from where these reside: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive

Dec 3, 2021 1:30 PM in response to vismaya67

What I find unusual is that those files are not hidden within the Downloads folder.

What that tells me is that those folders will restore themselves if deleted because they are associated with an app that you have installed.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it because I also have folders associated with some apps that I have installed on my system. 😉

GHOST FILES IN MACBOOK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.