Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When using my macbook pro with an external monitor, can I use a bluetooth keyboard but keep using the macbooks trackpad instead of an external mouse or trackpad

I want to purchase a monitor for my Mac as well as a keyboard. However I would like to continue using my macbook's built in trackpad instead of getting a separate mouse/trackpad. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:50 PM

Hello!

In short, yes.

I am typing this reply to your question on my MacBook Pro. It's closed on my desk, with an external monitor plugged in. I'm using a wireless mouse and keyboard with it. Sometimes I leave the computer open so I have two monitors, and use the built-in trackpad instead of the mouse … I find the mouse ergonomics better, but the trackpad is just easier to use for some things.

I have considered a wireless trackpad to get the best of both worlds in my setup. But yeah, the MacBook's built-in keyboard and trackpad continue to work when an external monitor other wired or wireless mice and keyboards are connected as well.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2020 8:50 PM in response to _Suder_

Hello!

In short, yes.

I am typing this reply to your question on my MacBook Pro. It's closed on my desk, with an external monitor plugged in. I'm using a wireless mouse and keyboard with it. Sometimes I leave the computer open so I have two monitors, and use the built-in trackpad instead of the mouse … I find the mouse ergonomics better, but the trackpad is just easier to use for some things.

I have considered a wireless trackpad to get the best of both worlds in my setup. But yeah, the MacBook's built-in keyboard and trackpad continue to work when an external monitor other wired or wireless mice and keyboards are connected as well.

Hope this helps!

When using my macbook pro with an external monitor, can I use a bluetooth keyboard but keep using the macbooks trackpad instead of an external mouse or trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.