Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External keyboard?

I just bought a new MacBook Pro. Because it's replacing a desktop iMac (and an older MacBook), I also bought a large external monitor to get a bigger screen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I have to use a separate keyboard and mouse (the ones I've been using with the iMac) rather than the trackpad on the MacBook with the separate monitor. I'd like to be able to use the features of the trackpad. Is there such a thing as a Mac keyboard that would have functions similar to those of the trackpad? Or, alternatively (and this might be a very technical question) can the external monitor be connected in a way that enables me to use the trackpad and other functions on the MacBook keyboard?

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2020 1:00 PM

As long as you leave the Mac open, you can simply connect the display and use both the internal display and the external (as mirrored or as separate desktops), and in that case you'd use the built-in keyboard and trackpad.

You can run with the Mac closed if you are on AC power and have an external display, keyboard and mouse/trackpad connected. Personally, I use Apple's Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2, the latter fully duplicates the function on the on-board trackpad.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2020 1:00 PM in response to NJM55

As long as you leave the Mac open, you can simply connect the display and use both the internal display and the external (as mirrored or as separate desktops), and in that case you'd use the built-in keyboard and trackpad.

You can run with the Mac closed if you are on AC power and have an external display, keyboard and mouse/trackpad connected. Personally, I use Apple's Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad 2, the latter fully duplicates the function on the on-board trackpad.

Use your Mac notebook computer in closed-display mode with an external display - Apple Support

Oct 14, 2020 1:39 PM in response to neuroanatomist

I will look into those products. I just got the new computer and monitor yesterday. At the moment, on my literal desktop, I have the iMac, a 27-inch monitor, a printer, and two laptops (plus a large, curious cat), and various cords and wires connecting everything, so I'm still puzzling everything out. My data hasn't yet been transferred from the old computer to the new one, so I need to use the older devices for a few days longer and will be going back and forth a lot.

External keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.