Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar notifying me multiple times for birthdays

Hello.

So, I have an annoying problem with my calendar and birthday notifications on my iPhone. I get multiple notifications for birthdays (like 30-40!), even with the 'Birthdays' calendar turned off. I resorted to deleted everyones birthdays from their contact card, and inserting them into a seperate calendar, but even with no birthday for a contact, and the calendar turned off, I STILL get the notifications.

I've tried searching for other people having this problem, but can't find anyone with the same issue.

How do I fix this please?

I'll attach some screenshots.

Emma

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:03 PM

Good evening Emma_NZ,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are having issues with birthdays and notifications in the Calendar app on your iPhone SE. Let's see if we can figure this out together.

It looks like you are using iCloud to sync your Calendar data.

Do you have a different iOS device or a Mac with iCloud Calendar enabled?

When you go to www.icloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID, are you seeing the same data online as you are seeing on your iPhone?

Is the issue happening with this one contact, or are you getting multiple notifications for birthdays for several people?

Have you updated your iPhone to iOS 14 yet? If you have not, let's get this issue resolved before updating the iOS.

You've done some good troubleshooting by turning off the default Birthdays calendar.

Before you attempt any more troubleshooting steps, make sure you have a backup of your iPhone and your Mac (if you have one).

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

• As we begin troubleshooting, we'd suggest you turn off (remove the checkmark) from the "Birthdays and Anniversaries" calendar you created in iCloud - Set up multiple calendars on iPhone - iPhone User Guide. Keep the default Birthdays calendar (with the red gift) turned off. As you have set up the birthdays in a separate calendar, you will have duplicates if you also enable the Birthdays calendar which pulls information from the Contacts app.
  • Write the information down that you have for "Stephanie" above and delete her contact card for now - Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  • Turn off Notifications for Calendar on your iPhone - Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
  • Check to see if you are storing contacts in any other accounts besides iCloud. Make sure iCloud is your default account. Follow the steps in the resources below carefully:

If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts

If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync

• Restart your iPhone.
  • Enable Notifications for Calendar again on your iPhone.

Please reply to this thread to give us an update on your issue after trying the troubleshooting steps above. We'll do our best to help you with this!

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 6:03 PM in response to Emma_NZ

Good evening Emma_NZ,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are having issues with birthdays and notifications in the Calendar app on your iPhone SE. Let's see if we can figure this out together.

It looks like you are using iCloud to sync your Calendar data.

Do you have a different iOS device or a Mac with iCloud Calendar enabled?

When you go to www.icloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID, are you seeing the same data online as you are seeing on your iPhone?

Is the issue happening with this one contact, or are you getting multiple notifications for birthdays for several people?

Have you updated your iPhone to iOS 14 yet? If you have not, let's get this issue resolved before updating the iOS.

You've done some good troubleshooting by turning off the default Birthdays calendar.

Before you attempt any more troubleshooting steps, make sure you have a backup of your iPhone and your Mac (if you have one).

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Back up your Mac with Time Machine

• As we begin troubleshooting, we'd suggest you turn off (remove the checkmark) from the "Birthdays and Anniversaries" calendar you created in iCloud - Set up multiple calendars on iPhone - iPhone User Guide. Keep the default Birthdays calendar (with the red gift) turned off. As you have set up the birthdays in a separate calendar, you will have duplicates if you also enable the Birthdays calendar which pulls information from the Contacts app.
  • Write the information down that you have for "Stephanie" above and delete her contact card for now - Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
  • Turn off Notifications for Calendar on your iPhone - Use notifications on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
  • Check to see if you are storing contacts in any other accounts besides iCloud. Make sure iCloud is your default account. Follow the steps in the resources below carefully:

If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts

If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync

• Restart your iPhone.
  • Enable Notifications for Calendar again on your iPhone.

Please reply to this thread to give us an update on your issue after trying the troubleshooting steps above. We'll do our best to help you with this!

Take care.

Sep 22, 2020 7:02 PM in response to judysings

Thanks for the reply 'judysings'.

I do have a Mac using iCloud calendar too, but have the notifications turned off, so not sure if the same things happens on my Mac.

This problem happens with every contact that had a birthday stored with their contact information (probably 30-40 people).

I haven't updated my phone to iOS14 yet.

I have tried doing all the steps you listed. And then I re-added my 'Stephanie' contact, with her birthday as today. And today, I only got one notification (like I should!). Does that mean I need to delete every contact who had their birthday stored with their contact information, and re-add them, in order to stop the multiple notifications happening?

Thanks again,

Emma

Calendar notifying me multiple times for birthdays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.