Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt 3 hub/dock for iMac

I'm trying to find a Thunderbolt 3 hub/dock for iMac which has 3 or 4 thunderbolt ports. The ones I've found have multiple connections (usb, card reader, etc), when I just want a multi-port thunderbolt hub. Any suggestions?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 9:50 AM

Specifically, there are no docks that have more than two 40Gbps TB3 ports. Some docks have additional USB-C ports that provide 10Gbps or 5Gbps ports that are usually called Thunderbolt ports. True TB3 ports will not work with enclosures that that do not fully support TB3 40Gbps speeds (even the cables are different.) There is a marketing distinction between TB3 and Thunderbolt even though both use the same USB-C connecters.

Docks, hubs, and enclosures that support the 40Gbps TB3 speed are considerably more expensive than those that do not. This cost differential range from three times up to 8 times more expensive. The lowest price I have paid for a 40Gbps TB3 enclosure was $125.00.

It's important in some cases to distinguish between Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 3.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 9:50 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Specifically, there are no docks that have more than two 40Gbps TB3 ports. Some docks have additional USB-C ports that provide 10Gbps or 5Gbps ports that are usually called Thunderbolt ports. True TB3 ports will not work with enclosures that that do not fully support TB3 40Gbps speeds (even the cables are different.) There is a marketing distinction between TB3 and Thunderbolt even though both use the same USB-C connecters.

Docks, hubs, and enclosures that support the 40Gbps TB3 speed are considerably more expensive than those that do not. This cost differential range from three times up to 8 times more expensive. The lowest price I have paid for a 40Gbps TB3 enclosure was $125.00.

It's important in some cases to distinguish between Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 3.

Sep 17, 2020 9:25 PM in response to Nathan Chicago

Only dock on the market that I have found that is completely Mac compatible and provides so much connectivity. It's worth the price when compared to others in the same price bracket. You may find a good price on Amazon or even eBay. OWC's docks are nearly as expensive but don't have as many TB/USB-C ports but it is also an excellent product and pricey. I've used both products and have only nice things to say about them.

Thunderbolt 3 hub/dock for iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.