Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 14 MASSIVE battery drain

I installed ios 14 and Watch OS7 yesterday went to bed and Phone was at 78% charged got up this morning and it was at 15%, apparently Health app and exposure notification took all my battery and on top-of that that Fitness app on apple watch stoped working. Anybody with same issues.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 11:30 AM

Hi there,

I experienced the same issue for about three days! I would recommend following these steps to get back on track:

1. Restart each device
  2. If that fails, reset your Apple Watch to factory settings and re-pair.
  3. If that fails, it's time to restore your iPhone.

Step three was required for me. Let me know how it goes!

30 replies

Oct 13, 2020 12:48 PM in response to Enver Masud

I was also seeing battery drain > 50% over a day from Exposure Notifications on iOS 14.0.1 (iPhone SE 2016) - this was never a problem under iOS 13. It only started after I upgraded to iOS 14.

The solution for me was to DISABLE Exposure Notifications (Settings > Exposure Notifications > Turn Off Exposure Notifications), followed by a restart (power off, power on) and then re-enabling Exposure Notifications through the COVID Alert app (I’m in Ontario, Canada).

So far battery life looks to have resumed back to normal. Hope this helps someone.

Nov 22, 2020 4:33 AM in response to Apple_Allthe_Time

I have this same problem. After trying to disable the new ‘Exposure Notifications’ from Apple and rebooting/restarting etc. This did nothing to solve the problem. I had to uninstall the COVID-19 app and disable the “Exposure Notifications’ for the day restarted te iPhone. this verified the battery drain because instead of waking in the morning to 1% battery the iPhone maintained the battery level at 75%. I just reinstalled the COVID app again to see if it plays nice now or not. I did notice that in the ‘Exposure Notifications’ the ‘Availability Alerts’ is off (this time as it was on before, as I turned it on to see if it was this that was causing the issue) maybe it is this part. Here is a screen shot of overnight when it was at its worse. But I had to uninstall reboot a few times in order to get hold of this power drain.

Nov 22, 2020 8:02 AM in response to CanadianKebhen

Of course after trying a few tests, I have to question the bluetooth connectivity. The battery took a 5% decrease checking my Fitbit Versa Lite and another 5% hooking up to my bluetooth speaker as I was starting my treadmill 5kms run this AM. So, I noticed this COVID app also uses Bluetooth and on Friday I was driving in my car and the phone was connected to the cars bluetooth. HMmm. I am glad I don't work at tech services and I don’t like those standard answers like reinstall everything. Fix your broken op system Apple. I had a problem like this with I think it was iOS 12. The battery drain ended being, I think, my 5G WiFi which I don't use anymore except when absolutely necessary and the 2.4G ain’t doing it. My iPhone is a 2016 SE.

Nov 23, 2020 8:13 AM in response to CanadianKebhen

Why should I have to reset and restore anything? This battery drain thing only started with the latest iOS update. I’m on an iPhone 11 less than a year old. I use my phone all the time. It doesn’t even charge properly when plugged into usb on my laptop. I don’t always have access to a plug socket. Please fix your update Apple! This is getting ridiculous

Nov 27, 2020 10:26 AM in response to mj46

Thanks. I will leave it off for now anyway, I have not seen other people besides my wife for months and the cash register lady does not count, it is all too short to log. A non-drained battery is currently healthier for me.

Besides this all I think it is a laugh that Apple did not make sure this could not happen. Prolly due to very poor testing quality.

Nov 29, 2020 7:54 AM in response to Apple_Allthe_Time

I don’t have the watch and I’m experiencing a regular battery drain from the exposure notifications ... some days as high as 40% of daily battery use. My phone sits on charge during the night and I wake up to 100% battery charge. Within a few hours it drops down to 60% or more, whether I use the phone or not. I’ve turned off the exposure notifications while I know I’m in a safe place and see if that makes a difference.

Dec 6, 2020 9:04 PM in response to Apple_Allthe_Time

Same here: my original iPhone SE was killed by ios 14.2. Battery lasts less than 1 hour. Sum this with lots BT related bugs that came ONE YEAR AGO with iOS 13 that Made Siri + calls useless on my Apple Watch 4 (There’s a long thread here on this forum)... et voila: the shame is served. I HAD TO buy a new iPhone because I need To work.

At Apple support they confirmed that they knew the issue with iOS 13... one year long promising a fix with “a next update”. Here it it is: after dozen of updates that didn’t solve, this one has definitely killed my (less than 4 year Old) iPhone. When I ordered the new iPhone by Apple Store online (by phone, in a pandemic time i can’t go to an Apple store, Too far from my living town, I’m visually imparerd) they refuse to consider my support ticket Number. So no compensation. I can’t accept this. I’ll digg into this

Jan 4, 2021 9:19 AM in response to Apple_Allthe_Time

Both my wife's 6S and my X see the same issue and the only fix we have found is to disable the exposure notifications. We first wondered if this had to do with our two phones communicating with one another all day while we work from home, but disabling the EN on just one phone did not fix it for the other. We also did not have this issue while running iOS 13.

Too bad because the idea of this anonymous contact tracing is a really good one.

ios 14 MASSIVE battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.