Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 2 - Unable to Update to watchOS 6.2.8

Product : Apple Watch Series 2

PROBLEM : Every time I try and update the watchOS to 6.2.8 I get ta error message.

ERROR Message : Unable to verify Update. The watch OS update couldn't be verified because you are not connected to the internet.

Phone Product: iPhone XR

Software Version : 14.0

Wifi : Set Up and working ok

Cellular: Set Up and working ok

Additional Information : This 'update issue' also occurred on the last iPHONE software version 13.X.X just before it goes to 14.

Trouble Shooting Steps Taken:

1. Turn on and off both watch and iPhone devices
  2. Reset watch factory settings
  3. Turn aeroplane mode on and off

Since updating my iPHONE to 14.0 it forced my watch to a reset. Following the reset instructions and pair new iPhone (not new family feature) it gets stuck at the software update step and the same error message comes up. ERROR : Unable to verify Update. The watch OS update couldn't be verified because you are not connected to the internet.

Now I cant even use my watch as it won't even finish the paring process as the steps force the software update which won't verify. So now I have a watch that isn't even set up and working.

Please HELP I love my watch and I need to get it working again.

Thanking you Cam

#AppleWatchSeries2

#watchOS6.2.8

#VarifyError

Apple Watch Series 2, watchOS 6

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:03 AM

i have the EXACT error, and symptoms as you...except on a series 3 and XS. i've literally spent the last 4 days trying to get this to thing to update as well.

i had unpaired and tried to reset it, then i got into a loop of pairing, unpairing issues. i couldnt even set it up as a new device.

something is very wrong here, literally the apple watch seems to have bricked itself.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 6:03 AM in response to Camo1974

i have the EXACT error, and symptoms as you...except on a series 3 and XS. i've literally spent the last 4 days trying to get this to thing to update as well.

i had unpaired and tried to reset it, then i got into a loop of pairing, unpairing issues. i couldnt even set it up as a new device.

something is very wrong here, literally the apple watch seems to have bricked itself.

Sep 19, 2020 2:31 AM in response to derekk1998

Hi @derekk1998

I am of the understanding that Apple Watch Series 2 is not compatible with watchOS7.

However i am updating my watch to watch06.2.8 and there is nothing that I have come across to say that I can’t update a S2 with it.

Agree with you though on the S2 compatibility issue though regardless my watch is in good condition it just won’t update.

Sep 23, 2020 12:08 PM in response to Camo1974

Same issue, with a Series 2 also. My watch was not accurately recording steps into Apple Health so I mistakenly agreed to update my Watch OS. It has been two days now of frustration trying to get past the "Unable to Verify" error message. This is insane.

I do hope this is fixable. I had no plans to upgrade my Apple Watch and if IOS 14 bricks it, well I likely won't get another.

Sep 24, 2020 1:13 AM in response to fprintf

i managed to eventually re-pair the watch to the iphone.... but i still cannot update it to 6.2.8 or 7.0.

to re-pair, i just kept retrying everytime it failed. i must've done it over 70 times even. i had tried to hold down the crown, and do a reset and then try again.. but it made no difference. just keep retrying then eventually it will pair and you can proceed with the rest of the setup to get it working again.

once it pairs however, please do NOT try to erase content and settings. it will cause you to go into a loop again of being unable to verify.

like i said, once paired again, the software update continues to fail with "cannot verify as you're not connected to the internet".

this really sucks, to say the least. i wish someone from Apple would read this and help out somehow.

Sep 25, 2020 3:19 AM in response to fprintf

My watch finally updated. So I have zero idea if there was an issue with servers or it was just the one lucky time out of the dozens of times I unpaired, paired, downloaded the install (a 2 hour process) and then got the "unable to verify" message. But for whatever reason yesterday morning it got past the "verifying" stage and went to installing. I just checked and I now have 6.2.8 on there.

I will not update my series 2 any further after this debacle.

Sep 25, 2020 9:07 AM in response to fprintf

Same here! Mine finally let the 6.2.8 update go through yesterday and I was able to pair my watch again. I don’t know what the problem was but I just kept trying throughout the day and then right before bed and after a few days it finally took. I won’t try updating it again so as to not go through this again.

My issue was when I would get to the “Install” phase I would click on it then I’d get a message saying I wasn’t connected to Wi-Fi which I was.

Apple Watch Series 2 - Unable to Update to watchOS 6.2.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.