Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you reset the SMC with 100% drained battery ? (MBP 2017 15inch Touchbar)

So, I have this MBP 2017 (Running MacOS Catalina) that turned off all of a sudden (while using it with charger plugged with 100% battery), when i tried to turn it on there's this interface showing 'Critical software update is required to use this mac' and while i was trying to bypass it i didn't notice that the mac is not charging and it drained all the battery power. Now the battery is completly drained and when i plug the charger nothing happens (no sign no sound). So i tried reseting the SMC with the keys combination but nothing changes, i even tried to unplug the battery cable and plug it again but all the same. However the mac can boot on safe mode (i guess) with the fans working at 100% speed, no Touchbar, and battery not detected too.

So can you reset the SMC with 100% drained battery ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 3:50 PM

Yes. If the battery is not charging you can definitely reset the SMC. It is one of the steps described in If your Mac battery won’t charge. In fact it's the only applicable step.

If you could not get the Mac to start up at all, different instructions would apply. Here they are in case you need them: If your Mac doesn't turn on.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 3:50 PM in response to AmineFlutter

Yes. If the battery is not charging you can definitely reset the SMC. It is one of the steps described in If your Mac battery won’t charge. In fact it's the only applicable step.

If you could not get the Mac to start up at all, different instructions would apply. Here they are in case you need them: If your Mac doesn't turn on.

Sep 18, 2020 4:19 PM in response to AmineFlutter

Good question. There is no visual or other feedback confirming a successful or unsuccessful SMC Reset. All you can do it follow the instructions to the letter: How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

Follow them and just assume it resulted in actually resetting the SMC. If that doesn't restore your Mac to life continue with the other instructions in If your Mac doesn't turn on, which ultimately leads to contacting Apple Support.

Can you reset the SMC with 100% drained battery ? (MBP 2017 15inch Touchbar)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.