Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMC reset - Target Mode? - Macbook Pro mid 2012

Problem.

1 - Fans full constantly

2 - Battery not charging or showing in menu bar, no light (Green/amber) on charger

3 - Keyboard, some keys not working, power button working

4. SMC reset, 'ctrl+alt+ shift+power' does not work, (black screen for 3 seconds then it restarts)

In all other respects the mac works fine (though it is noticeably slower), clean install Catalina, no additional software added, HD check OK with DU, oddly, even though the battery is not charing or showing it still starts without the power cable

I know this is a well worn question and it's probably a keyboard issue but before I get a new one I was wondering if I could reset the SMC from another mac via Target Mode.

I appreciate any idea's you may have.

Posted on May 9, 2022 4:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2022 8:41 AM

In case anyone else is having a similar issue, here is what worked for me.

As I suspected the keyboard was the problem, although it was receiving power and some keys were working, I noticed a small split close to the connector when I removed it.

I tested a keyboard from another MBP, the mac booted as normal, the charger was recognised, the battery began charging and is showing in the menu bar, the fans were still running high but after an SMC reset they began working as normal.

Hope this may help.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Skorpan

In case anyone else is having a similar issue, here is what worked for me.

As I suspected the keyboard was the problem, although it was receiving power and some keys were working, I noticed a small split close to the connector when I removed it.

I tested a keyboard from another MBP, the mac booted as normal, the charger was recognised, the battery began charging and is showing in the menu bar, the fans were still running high but after an SMC reset they began working as normal.

Hope this may help.

May 9, 2022 4:35 AM in response to Skorpan

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro hardware with Apple Diagnostics if it reports battery and thermal sensor related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If it doesn't help or error is/are reported, you'd better contact Apple Support or take your MacBook Pro to Genius Bar which requires making reservation or your local Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

May 9, 2022 7:06 AM in response to kaz-k

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, tried diagnostics and as the battery is not recognised and the rest of the test does not run, the error code is PPT001 (battery not detected) that's why I'm trying to run an SMC reset from another mac via Target mode. Any thoughts on whether this is possible? The value of the mac is not worth a Genius bar visit, but thanks for the info.

SMC reset - Target Mode? - Macbook Pro mid 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.