Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail.app smart mailbox says there are 61 unread messages in my inbox, but they are *all* read.

And, in fact, there are only thirty messages in my inbox.

I have rebuilt the inbox twice, and I deleted and recreated the smart mailbox once.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 6:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2020 8:03 PM

It may be overkill, and it may not even fix the problem, but consider removing the email account, then adding it again. Those steps are described in Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

Back up your Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac. If the email account uses POP (it probably doesn't) those thirty messages exist on your Mac and nowhere else.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2020 8:03 PM in response to HacksawSA

It may be overkill, and it may not even fix the problem, but consider removing the email account, then adding it again. Those steps are described in Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support.

Back up your Mac as a matter of course. To learn how to use Time Machine please read Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac. If the email account uses POP (it probably doesn't) those thirty messages exist on your Mac and nowhere else.

Mail.app smart mailbox says there are 61 unread messages in my inbox, but they are *all* read.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.