Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iMac2012 as secondary monitor for 2017 macbook pro?

Can someone explain what adapters/connectors I would need to use iMac2012 as a secondary monitor for 2017 macbook pro?

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2020 5:01 AM in response to kaz-k

Thanks. I did some research, target display mode is only supported in these few older models?

I'm also planning to get a new iMac, which comes with thunderbolt 3. Can I still use these 2020 iMacs as target display with a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 3 cable?

Quote from site:

iMac models you can use
as a displayCable
you needPort you need
on your other MaciMac (27-inch, Late 2009)Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPortMini DisplayPort or ThunderboltiMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPortMini DisplayPort or ThunderboltiMac (Mid 2011-Mid 2014)ThunderboltThunderbolt
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) and later iMac models can’t be used as Target Display Mode displays.

source: https://applerepairstation.co.uk/Technical%20Desk/use-your-imac-as-a-display-with-target-display-mode/

How to use iMac2012 as secondary monitor for 2017 macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.