Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 14 CarPlay Audio Issue (crackling sounds)

I updated my phone to ios 14 yesterday but after that when im using CarPlay Audio usually 2-3 minutes into a song or by the second song, I start getting crackling sounds. please help

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 3:06 AM

165 replies

May 6, 2021 3:32 PM in response to Stephisnothappy

Just a reminder - by saying "Apple, sort it out" here you are literally talking into the wind.

No one from Apple Engineering reads these forums, we are just other Apple users here.

You can contact Apple in either of these ways:

Note also if it's a Pioneer or other third party company issue, Apple isn't going to break iOS to make it compatible with their products.

Sep 24, 2020 5:19 AM in response to ashanGTR

ashanGTR,

Backing up your iPhone and reinstalling the software may help. The following article has the steps on how to backup your iPhone: 

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

By using the steps as listed under the heading "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" from the following article you can reinstall the software on your iPhone: 

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take Care.

May 6, 2021 12:04 PM in response to djobera

This actually makes a lot of sense.

Streaming relies upon a constant solid data connection which is the opposite of what a mobile data connection is.

If the next block of data for your song comes in a few milliseconds too late for smooth playback, what is the audio codec supposed to do?

Yet if the playback software buffers too much to avoid this, you’re left waiting for seconds before your song starts playing.

Perhaps their audio player needs to put up a spinning “buffering” cursor like you get on YouTube whenever this occurs.

Sep 23, 2020 4:10 PM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Exactly the same happened to me. The support article does not help with anything.

With ios13.6 it was perfect.

The bug got introduced in ios 14 and carried on till the GM and then the public release. Definitely needs to be fixed.

It does not matter if I connect my phone on wireless or wired carplay, seems the buffer is too small and the bandwidth of data transfer is limited.

IOS 14 CarPlay Audio Issue (crackling sounds)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.