Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina & Logitech Harmony Remote Software for old remotes

I have an older Logitech Harmony Universal remote, model 890

The software on my Mac is v. 7.8.1 it is 32 bit. It is an IR remote w/o a hub.

So when I update to Catalina, very soon, it will not run.

B4 anyone says, ask the Logitech support about this ….I have & they have links on their website that appears to address this.

I saw 2 other Apple Forum threads where this was mentioned.

The links by Logitech basically take you round & round in a circle.

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/download#harmonyRemote7x

They seem to offer a solution but direct you (if you have an older remote) to D/L the same exact 32 bit software that you probably already have from many years ago!

The above link D/L a DMG file :

LogitechHarmonyRemoteSoftware7.8.1-OSX.DMG

They have a promising webpage titled:

“HARMONY AND MACOS 10.15 CATALINA”

“With the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, 32-bit apps such as MyHarmony will no longer launch and instead display an error message. For more information, see Apple's announcement regarding their transition to 64-bit technology.”

https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/harmony-and-macos-catalina

So they KNOW what the issue is.

I think if you have an older remote, you are SOL but they will not state that.

They have a link, scrolling down on the page, that appears to be the answer:

“Click here to download our new 64-bit app “Harmony Desktop” for Catalina.”

B4 you shout Eureka!

Read the bullet points underneath the link:

Key point is:

“This new Harmony Desktop will support only the following remotes Harmony 200, 300, 350, 600, 650, 665, 700, Touch, Ultimate One, and 950.”

Does me no good with my 890!

But the last bullet point is:

“If you have a remote on Logitech Harmony Remote legacy software, such as the Harmony 880, 900, One, 1000, 1100, etc., an updated version which will work on macOS 10.15 Catalina is available in the faq section of our downloads page.”

OK, they do not mention 890 but 880 is very similar & I think used the same old software.

That link takes you back to the 1st link I posted which prompts you to D/L the old 32 bit version!

So, I am hoping someone reading this with Catalina & an old Harmony remote, such as 880 or 890, has solved this.

Contacting Logitech is an exercise in frustration. I won’t bore you with details of my email exchange from many months ago, where the tech support person was useless - probably did not understand English very well & took days or weeks to reply.

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 5:07 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 19, 2020 8:57 AM in response to growler62000

Logitech support has never been very good for their Universal Remotes and no longer sell these older types (I don't like the newer ones at all). I actually need to update my own remote as well and I dread attempting it since I'm afraid to lose my current setup as it took a lot of time to configure and I only need to make some minor changes.

Years ago in addition to their proprietary app they had an online only option to use their website to configure their universal remotes. The online configurator unfortunately only does very basic setups. If the web based option is not sufficient or no longer available, then you will need to install an older version of macOS into a Virtual Machine so you can program your remote. Or you can create an external macOS boot drive.

Sep 19, 2020 11:18 AM in response to HWTech

I was reading through old & new discussions:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034696754?page=1#comments

& newer

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360037689193

Software for older remotes such as 880

**This software will only work on macOS 10.15 Catalina**

I D/L & got

LogitechHarmonyRemoteSoftware7.9.0-OSX.DMG

Cannot try it till I upgrade to Catalina, which may be late tonight.

Many comments say it does not work &/or very buggy & will not sync.

I think if software worked for 880 it would work for my 890.

I also do not want to have to redo my setup which took many hours to configure years ago. I currently do not need to change anything but when I do….

B4 I use a virtual machine, I may buy Logitech - Harmony 665 10-Device Universal Remote (~$60)

So per my search of Logitech support:

“Click here to download our new 64-bit app “Harmony Desktop” for Catalina.”

Key point is:

“This new Harmony Desktop will support only the following remotes Harmony 200, 300, 350, 600, 650, 665, 700, Touch, Ultimate One, and 950.”

So that should work but IDK about ease of use vs. my 890.

I also do not want to support Logitech since they have failed Mac users.

Catalina & Logitech Harmony Remote Software for old remotes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.