Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Hotspot keeps disconnecting - iPhone 11 pro (ios14)

The hotspot keeps getting disconnected every once in a while.

I have to go to the personal hotspot section in settings on my iPhone and then connect to the hotspot network on the client device.

Happens with any client device i've used on.

dell latitude ( Win 10 latest update)

Asus 5z cellphone ( Android 10 )

Asus vivobook 542 ( Windows 10 latest update)

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2020 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 2:52 PM

I have been having this issue for awhile now. My phone will connect, work well for a few minutes, slow down, and then disconnect all together. I have erased all my settings twice, had Verizon update my carrier settings, gotten a new SIM card, and it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this?? I'm trying to remote teach, and I am not having as much success as I need.

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 2:52 PM in response to dragonstark

I have been having this issue for awhile now. My phone will connect, work well for a few minutes, slow down, and then disconnect all together. I have erased all my settings twice, had Verizon update my carrier settings, gotten a new SIM card, and it still doesn't work. Is there a fix for this?? I'm trying to remote teach, and I am not having as much success as I need.

Oct 24, 2020 2:58 PM in response to Giorgio_K

MY (HOPE PERMANENT) FIX: I've reset the Network Settings: (Sett>Reset>Netw) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204051

1. All wifi passwords were lost.
  2. Device Name was reset to "iPhone", thus for the PC/Client wifi to be able re-connect
    1. Deleted from PC/Client the old named wifi connection
    2. Searched for the new named iPhone Hotspot - connected and entered password.

Sep 19, 2020 11:31 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

My carrier does not impose any restrictions for using hotspot.

I also have a paid data plan.

Problem is that the client device keeps getting disconnected from the hotspot.

I have to go to the personal hotspot page on my phone's settings and then connect the client device to the hotspot

This was not a problem when I was using the same Sim card on an android device.

Sine it works for a while and then disconnects, I am suspecting an issue with the iPhone if it's designed that way.

Oct 14, 2020 7:18 AM in response to QuickTimeKirk

This is a real issue that apple needs to address and fix. I called support yesterday and they first tried to blame my windows computer. I told them it was not as I was on the phone not my computer when I got an email to my phone and after that the blue bar on the top disappeared. This is what happens the phones modem maybe is turning off. But again it was working just fine since the start of COVID on iOS13. Apple this is such a important thing for so many people working from home.

Mar 10, 2021 6:01 AM in response to eoin197

For me I have found a PERMANENT SOLUTION to the problem. And hotspot has stopped disconnecting like it used to. I will explain in steps:

1. Do NOT use any hotspot widget especially the one in control centre because it’s broken and causing disconnections. (Control centre pops up when you slide upside from bottom where there’s shortcuts to switch on wifi/mobile data/flash/hotspot etc..)
  2. If the hotspot widget(Control centre) is ON then turn it OFF.
  3. Go to Settings -> Personal Hotspot.
  4. If “Allow others to join” is enabled then disable it for once and then enable it again.
  5. Now connect your hotspot and I guarantee it will not disconnect itself ever again.

Go through steps 3 to 5 whenever you connect hotspot and it won’t bug you.

Nov 5, 2020 11:08 AM in response to harilal03

Same problem here - most annoying. I tried resetting Network Settings with default to iPhone network name but a week on and the disconnects are so random often within a few seconds of each other.. iPhone no longer connects to other peripheral devices by Wifi which were OK under IOS13. Tried SIM in my old S7 Android and works perfectly with no disconnects...Come on Apple get this fixed as people need solid tethering to keep their lives and businesses on track during this Pandemic. This equipment is no toy considering the prices you charge!

Nov 12, 2020 7:09 PM in response to shoprofitdogood

Yeah I am experiencing the same issue as everyone here. I had no issues before the update? It stopped working when the update became available actually and even when I did finally update it it shows up as connected on my phone but nothing on the device the connection is for. It doesn’t seem to register. It does say I have 1 connection on the personal hotspot but only for about twenty seconds and then nothing.

Nov 19, 2020 8:12 PM in response to dragonstark

I am having same problem from last one year with IPhone XR on iOS 13 and 14. Few observations from my end. After connecting to hotspot if I pick up or make phone call hotspot gets disconnected. Same happens if I browse web or app on iPhone for sometime with hotspot on. Another problem is with my Apple Watch. Whenever I go out of range of my iPhone with Apple Watch on hand with hotspot on it gets disconnected. If I leave both my Apple Watch and iPhone near my laptop hotspot stays on until I get some phone call. No solution till now for me.

WiFi Hotspot keeps disconnecting - iPhone 11 pro (ios14)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.