Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch app (iOS) crashes on launch

Yesterday my gf boght a S6 to go with her iPhone XR (iOS14). The watch worked properly, got paired with the iPhone and everything went smooth. Today she's unable to launch the Watch app on iOS, it just keeps crashing on launch.

Worst of all, the Watch is not reporting anything from the iPhone anymore: no notifications, no alarms.

We tried to "remove" the app, restart both devices, close the app from multitasking, sort of unpair the Apple Watch (from the Watch itself, as we couldn't open the app on iPhone) but we didn't manage to fix.

Now we can't even pair it anymore with the iPhone.

Any tips except initializing the iPhone too?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:12 AM

She ended up fixing it with Apple Support on the phone (we were calling to make an appointment):

- Initialized the Watch (from within the Settings on the watch)

- Unpaired the Watch from iPhone's BT settings

- Did a backup, restored the iPhone using that backup

- At this point she was able to delete the app (else it was still paired to the Watch and unable to remove!)

- After that she downloaded the Watch app again, and it started working again!

I am not 100% sure that the backup/restore of the phone is a needed step, but if you don't manage to be able to uninstall the app after unpairing the watch from BT, give it a try.

158 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 6:12 AM in response to DaRk_ViVi

She ended up fixing it with Apple Support on the phone (we were calling to make an appointment):

- Initialized the Watch (from within the Settings on the watch)

- Unpaired the Watch from iPhone's BT settings

- Did a backup, restored the iPhone using that backup

- At this point she was able to delete the app (else it was still paired to the Watch and unable to remove!)

- After that she downloaded the Watch app again, and it started working again!

I am not 100% sure that the backup/restore of the phone is a needed step, but if you don't manage to be able to uninstall the app after unpairing the watch from BT, give it a try.

Oct 21, 2020 1:45 PM in response to DaRk_ViVi

I am having the exact same problem with my iPhone Xs Max and Watch series 6. Worst thing is that today’s update to iOS 14.1 didn’t fix the problem. The watch app still crashes right after clicking on it. Will have to reset and set up my iPhone from back up. I can’t understand why they didn’t fix it if so many people have the same problem. I have read about this issue in several forums by now.

Oct 28, 2020 3:49 PM in response to BigT91o

I have the same issue!

I followed the steps:

1. Full backup to local disk
  2. erase all in my iPhone SE2
  3. reset the watch SE
  4. restore from backup

the watch app can’t be deleted even I have not paired the watch yet

i did another way:

1. full backup to local disk
  2. erase all in my iPhone se2
  3. setup as new phone
  4. reset the watch
  5. pair the watch with the clean phone
  6. the watch app works up to this step
  7. restore the backup

now the watch app crashes again!

the third way:

1. full backup the phone
  2. erase all data and settings of the phone
  3. dont setup as a new phone, just restore from the backup
  4. the watch app crashes, and I was failed to pair with the watch

i am using the latest iOS version 14.1 and watch OS 7.02

Dec 31, 2020 7:01 AM in response to DaRk_ViVi

I contacted Apple Support and wanted to share what worked for us (that did not involve a complete restore of the iPhone):

1. Reset All Settings on the iPhone (Settings --> General --> Reset All Settings). You do not lose media or things like game data, but things like cards in Wallet, Passcode, and FaceID will be reset.
  2. Reset All Settings on the Watch (Settings --> General --> Erase All Content and Settings).
  3. You should now be able to delete the Watch app from your phone. Delete the app completely - do not just remove it from the Home Screen - you want all the settings and data gone for the app.
  4. Go to the App Store and download the Watch app again.
  5. You should now have a working Watch app that you can use to re-pair with and manage your Apple Watch.
  6. You'll need to re-enter settings on your iPhone such as FaceID and Passcode.

I hope this helps other fix this issue.

Jan 1, 2021 4:31 PM in response to VeeDubbinJetta

before you do your back up on your iPhone,

1. go to settings>General>iPhone storage and remove backups from the watch app.
  2. going to iCloud back up and unselect the watch app from the iCloud back-up. you don’t want the watch app backed up. Then back up your phone to iCloud.

now when you restore your phone fro back-up after disassociating it from the watch, you should be able to delete the Watch app from your phone easily, at least I did.

then reinstall the app, and it should work. I did this four days ago, and it still working for me.

Oct 26, 2020 5:59 AM in response to Tommy_Frankfurt

Have the same issue with the Watch app on the iPhone crashing at startup.

Just set up a new Watch6 to add to my Watch4 and after a few hours the watch would not connect to the iPhone. Tried to open the Watch app on the iPhone and it crashes at startup. Cannot delete and reinstall app. App says it must unpair watch before it can be removed. All watches have been unpaired from Bluetooth (but cannot be unpaired using the app since the app does not start.)

I've done a full reset of the iPhone with a restore from backup. Watch app still thinks it is paired and cannot be deleted. I’ve reset all watches and removed them from iCloud and repeated the iPhone reset. No change.

At this point, it seems Apple fixing the Watch app is the only way out. In the meantime, I’ll probably return the Watch6 as it is currently useless.

Oct 26, 2020 10:11 AM in response to DaRk_ViVi

I bought the Watch 6 on the release day. 2 days later this bug occurred with my iPhone XS Max.

I contacted support and they suggested I backup the phone and reinstall it. That wasn’t an option for me because they couldn’t guarantee that the problem would be fixed, and with 2 Apple products it shouldn’t be necessary.

The latest 14.1 update didn’t do anything to fix the problem. I ended up returning the Watch 6 and I don’t think that I will buy it again. This problem has killed all my excitement for the watch. They didn’t prioritize to fix the problem and it has taken a month already.

I buy Apple products and pay premium price and they should work. Maybe next time I will buy Android instead.

I am very unhappy about this. I feel like they don’t care that they sell $1,000 watches that don’t even work. When it’s stuck and you can’t pair it, it doesn’t even show the time.

$1,000 for a watch that doesn’t even show the time!!! IT’S A JOKE! The biggest company in the world and they can’t fix their own product!

Oct 28, 2020 7:14 PM in response to niklas297

Agree!

It's not just about the money paid, it's about the time spent on this insane issue!

Apple is so shameful that they even can't make a stable product as they claim their eco-system is the best on planet.

I paid Apple because I don't want to waste my time on the troubleshooting, now it seems that there's nothing on earth that I can save my time in troubleshooting.

Oct 30, 2020 2:47 PM in response to KennethObee

Reset seems to work for many but not all. I’m also among those for whom it doesn’t work. Have been considering starting fresh ( no backup) but I just saw that 14.2 beta has been released and the following is among the bug fix list.

”Apple Watch app may unexpectedly close when opened “

So I think I’ll hold off in the hopes that it will self resolve on the next update, although that could be a while.

Would be good to hear from anyone with the issue that loads 14.2 beta.

Nov 1, 2020 8:55 AM in response to DaRk_ViVi

Also updated to iOS14.2 beta in hopes of a fix. App continues to crash. My Watch SE is no longer paired with my phone. Watch worked fine (after upgrading from Series 3 watch) for just over a week. Then suddenly became unpaired and watch app on phone started crashing. This needs a fix ASAP, one that does not require resetting phone/watch, restoring from backup, etc. That is an absurd fix for Apple to suggest.

Watch app (iOS) crashes on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.