Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID asks for iPhone's 6-digit passcode to upgrade settings for MacBook Pro

I have a MacBook Pro and recently upgraded to MacOS Catalina from El Capitan. I am trying to set up my Apple ID.

I initially set it up and looked OK but later asked me to "update my settings" because "some services will not be available until i sign-in again". So it asked for the passcode of my iPhone 6 to upgrade the settings for the Apple ID. The problem is that my iPhone 6 has a 4-digit passcode so I followed the instructions and changed my passcode to a 6-digit one.

When I try to update the settings for my Apple ID, it asks for my apple-ID password and I put it, then my user password and I put it, and in the end it asks for the 6-digit passcode used by my iPhone to unlock. When I put the code, it says incorrect passcode and gives me a choice to "Reset Encrypted Data" to which I say Cancel.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? How do I update my Apple Id settings?

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.15

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 12:22 PM

That removes the associated phone encryption from not being able to enter the passcode. As I posted earlier, several people have posted they Reset Encrypted Data and lost little to no data.

See if anything here helps. 

Verification code - how to get one and sign in with two-factor authentication.   

Similar questions

3 replies

Sep 20, 2020 8:42 AM in response to Eric Root

I have restarted my phone and also restarted my MacBook. I am clarifying that I am trying to set up the Apple ID on my MacBook (not on the iPhone).

So now, the MacBook is not even asking me for my 6-digit passcode. It is going straight in giving the option to approve this Mac from another device but cannot do it and then I have this window (attached screenshot) that gives the option to "reset encrypted data". I have no idea what that means so fo now I am not selecting it.

Apple ID asks for iPhone's 6-digit passcode to upgrade settings for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.