Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Storage on iPad full and not the same as iPhone

My iPad is so full that I can’t update the IOS. This is because the majority of the space is taken up by photos.

I’ve set the photos up on both my iPad and iPhone which shares the same account so they save on iCloud but it doesn’t seem to make any difference for the iPad. The photos on the iPhone uses about 800 MB whereas the same photos on the iPad uses 1.3 GB. If I delete the photos from my iPad, it deletes them from iCloud.

I have noticed that when I uncheck iCloud photos in settings, I get the option to download photos and videos to the device or Remove from iPad. Will the Remove from iPad option remove the files from the iPad only and retain the files on iCloud?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 6:38 AM

When you use "Remove from iPad" the photos will only be removed from the iPad and remain in iCloud.

How much storage does your iPad have? 1.3 GB is not much storage for Photos. Your iPad has a larger display, so the optimised versions need to be larger on the iPad than on the iPhone.

2 replies

Sep 20, 2020 7:15 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for the quick response and explanation about optimised images.

My iPad is pretty old and only has 16 GB of storage, most of it is taken up by system files and Apps, so 1.3 GB may not seem much but it's enough to prevent me loading the IOS upgrade.

I'm going to back up my photos to an external drive before attempting the remove from iPad, just in case it goes wrong.

Thanks once again for your help :)

Photo Storage on iPad full and not the same as iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.