Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving deceased brother’s iPhone photos?

Hello all -

My brother recently passed. We’re trying to figure out the easiest/quickest way to save the photos from his iPhone before we reset the phone for the person purchasing it. He has several thousand photos so I’m trying to figure out if there is an easier way than going through and marking all to share/downloading to my iPhone. We don’t know his iCloud password so anything involving that is not an option.

Any help on this topic is much appreciated.

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 8:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2020 8:53 AM

The easiest thing, assuming you know the passcode to unlock the device, is to plug it into a computer and extract the photos the way you would with any other digital camera.

In the meantime, see this document for instructions on how to request access to his iCloud account: How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2020 8:53 AM in response to Shandawn

The easiest thing, assuming you know the passcode to unlock the device, is to plug it into a computer and extract the photos the way you would with any other digital camera.

In the meantime, see this document for instructions on how to request access to his iCloud account: How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple accounts

Sep 23, 2020 9:18 AM in response to KiltedTim

Thank you for your advice and also to the link regarding deceased family members re this. I was able to successfully get the photos onto my stepmother’s iMac though there is was an issue where it just kept lagging/stopping after 350 photos. Then magically the next day another 3900+ imported within a short period of time. Either way - problem solved! Thank you!

Sep 20, 2020 3:43 PM in response to Shandawn

Shandawn wrote:

Hello all -

My brother recently passed. We’re trying to figure out the easiest/quickest way to save the photos from his iPhone before we reset the phone for the person purchasing it. He has several thousand photos so I’m trying to figure out if there is an easier way than going through and marking all to share/downloading to my iPhone. We don’t know his iCloud password so anything involving that is not an option.

Any help on this topic is much appreciated.

Sorry for your loss.

In addition to Kilted Tim's advice, and so you're clear, if you don't have his Apple ID password, you will not be able to reset the phone for use by another. Follow the directions in the article for that.

Saving deceased brother’s iPhone photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.