Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Capture Formatting Issues

Hi, all. I'm trying to capture a few frames from a video to save as photos.

Although I know how to capture the stills within FCPX, I'm having some issue with the formatting. The stills I am capturing are being automatically vertically aligned and include a black buffer around them. Since my goal is to export these stills and use them as photos elsewhere, I'm trying to conserve as much integrity of image as possible.

What's going on? What would you suggest? Is it possible that the problem I'm having is due to project setting? If so, what should I do differently?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 2:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 7:59 AM

If you are just making stills from the videos without any other changes, you don't a project, anyway.

Select the desired frame and share right from the browser.

OR BETTER YET: do not use Final Cut Pro for this.

Open the clips in turn in Quicktime Player, place the playhead on the image you want, press Command-C to Copy; switch to Preview, press Command-N for "New from Clipboard". Save in the desired format.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 7:59 AM in response to Sunshine_82

If you are just making stills from the videos without any other changes, you don't a project, anyway.

Select the desired frame and share right from the browser.

OR BETTER YET: do not use Final Cut Pro for this.

Open the clips in turn in Quicktime Player, place the playhead on the image you want, press Command-C to Copy; switch to Preview, press Command-N for "New from Clipboard". Save in the desired format.

Sep 21, 2020 4:37 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

I am not sure as to the exact nature of the footage. I used a new camera. But as to the other specs, here are some screen captures of the process:

Interestingly, I tried capturing a few stills and one of the stills from the bunch did turn out properly without the black buffer in vertical alignment. I'm not sure why that is as I made no manual changes to any other settings.

Here's my working view:

Sep 21, 2020 7:55 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the help. The project is a collection of videos that were supposed to be stills to begin with -- didn't realise what setting I was using with the new camera. The media dimensions are the following:

This is my view in the Video Inspector:

I made the fill change suggested, but I'm not sure if that change modifies the dimensions of the image?

Sep 21, 2020 5:28 AM in response to Sunshine_82

Your project is 1920x1080, which the usual HD resolution. It has a 16:9 aspect ratio.

What is inside the project? What are the media dimensions? If the media does not match the project aspectio, then it will either have "black bars" on top and bottom, or left and right; you can fix this, for example, by showing "Fill" under "Spatial Conform" in the Video Inspector.

Unfortunately your last screenshot has the Inspector's audio pane. Show us the Info pane instead.

Sep 21, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

As Tom pointed out, the project you are showing is 1080x1920 (I mistakenly wrote 1920x1080).

Your clips seem to be in an unusual size of 3328x2496.

The clips in the timeline will show a big letterbox (black bars on the top and bottom).

Exporting from that project, you would end up with a 1080x1920 tiff file with big letterboxing.

But in the other screenshots, you are sharing from the browser, not the timeline.

Notice how in your last screenshot, the browser has focus and a browser clip is active (see the yellow border).

Also, note that the share window mentions the name of the clip, and not the project.

Finally, sharing this way will not get you any black bars, since you will be exporting in the original size and aspect ration of your clip.

Why you have a vertical project for that media, I don't know, but that is easy to fix.

Select the project, open the Inspector, click Modify, choose Custom and enter the size matching your clips.

Screen Capture Formatting Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.