Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad will pick up thumb drive but not external hard drive

I recently discovered that I can connect my external hard drive to my iPad. I bought the connector and it works fine when I put a thumb drive into it. However when I put an external hard drive into it I can’t see it in Files. I’ve followed the various online articles - power cable connected, formatted to ex-FAT, etc, but still nothing comes up. I’ve updated to iOS 14 also. Any ideas why I still can pick up my hard drive? It’s the same scenario on my iPhone also. The hard drive is brand new.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 6:06 AM

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub.

The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2020 6:06 AM in response to calmac26

Your HDD must only have a single data partition - and be formatted as FAT32, exFAT or APFS. Multiple data partitions and Microsoft proprietary formats (such as NTFS) are not support by iPadOS.

You must also ensure that the HDD has an adequate source of power other than the iPad. If the HDD does not have an integral power supply, you must use a powered USB hub.

The iPad alone cannot supply sufficient power to high-power USB devices.

iPad will pick up thumb drive but not external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.