Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vCard; How to add to address book and change group?

1. How do I add a vCard to contacts?

2. How do I change contacts to different groups; iPhone, iCloud, Fruux etc?

Adding; I have a vard.vcf file in Google Voice someone texted me, I can tap it and view it etc which is fine but I want to add it to my address book. Long pressing the file gets me the share option and I select Contacts but all that does is open contacts, doesn't ask to import anything. I was able to save the vcard.vcf file to my download folder and using the files app and again sharing it to contacts just opens contacts, nothing gets imported. iphone xs, ios 14. I think I did this before and this might be a ios 14 bug? I'm using Fruux for contacts syncing if that matters. dav.fruux.com.

Groups; During adding or editing contacts I'm not seeing any way to put them in another group. That's kind of important as I'm using Fruxx to sync them on the back end and if it's in the wrong group it won't sync to other devices. Even if I was all in the apple ecosystem how do I change a contact from iphone to icloud??

iPhone XS Max, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 5:51 AM

Answering my own question; Contacts app is either broken or deliberately misleading to get you locked into icloud. I went through the effort to add a cardDav sync, why not let me use it? There is a work around that can be done on the iphone to move contacts erroneously created in icloud to the carddav server.

Select only iCloud contacts group in Contacts app, then Export each contact to files app. Take care to name the file uniquely.

Turn off iCloud sync in Settings > Apple ID [etc] > iCloud, and make sure Contacts is OFF!

Now in contacts, groups you should see your added cardDav group listed first, in my case Fruux.

Then verify new/imported contacts get added to Fruux group in Contacts app. You can then pull the previously exported contacts out of files app and share to contacts, they will now be saved to Fruux.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not add the ability to select what sync server when adding a contact?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 5:51 AM in response to MaxBurn

Answering my own question; Contacts app is either broken or deliberately misleading to get you locked into icloud. I went through the effort to add a cardDav sync, why not let me use it? There is a work around that can be done on the iphone to move contacts erroneously created in icloud to the carddav server.

Select only iCloud contacts group in Contacts app, then Export each contact to files app. Take care to name the file uniquely.

Turn off iCloud sync in Settings > Apple ID [etc] > iCloud, and make sure Contacts is OFF!

Now in contacts, groups you should see your added cardDav group listed first, in my case Fruux.

Then verify new/imported contacts get added to Fruux group in Contacts app. You can then pull the previously exported contacts out of files app and share to contacts, they will now be saved to Fruux.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not add the ability to select what sync server when adding a contact?

vCard; How to add to address book and change group?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.