Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth drivers don't load until after login?

I have my Macbook connected to a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. When I reboot the Macbook, I can't connect the bluetooth peripherals until I login. I've been told that this is because we have our Macbooks encrypted with Filevault, and it doesn't load the bluetooth drivers. I was wondering if anyone has this same issue, and have found a way to fix it?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 21, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2020 3:02 PM

Apple doesn't make an ergo keyboard to begin with. Second, the keyboard I'm using is wireless, and connected to two computers. As far as I'm aware, Apple doesn't make a keyboard that can do that. I have the Macbook Pro for work stuff, and my home desktop for everything else. Right now, I can switch back and forth between them by just pushing a button on my mouse, pushing a button on my keyboard, and pushing a button on my monitor. I tried finding a KVM to use, but couldn't find one that supported my hardware. So this is the best solution I could come up with.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2020 3:02 PM in response to majortom1967

Apple doesn't make an ergo keyboard to begin with. Second, the keyboard I'm using is wireless, and connected to two computers. As far as I'm aware, Apple doesn't make a keyboard that can do that. I have the Macbook Pro for work stuff, and my home desktop for everything else. Right now, I can switch back and forth between them by just pushing a button on my mouse, pushing a button on my keyboard, and pushing a button on my monitor. I tried finding a KVM to use, but couldn't find one that supported my hardware. So this is the best solution I could come up with.

Sep 27, 2020 1:19 PM in response to judysings

I found out the issue. Maybe someone else will have the issue and you can help them with this answer. It turns out that my Mac's entire hard disk is encrypted, so when it boots, what you're seeing is not exactly the true login screen. What you're actually seeing is the login to FileVault. The reason bluetooth for my Logitech Keyboard and Mouse aren't coming up is because FileVault has VERY limited support for anything other than Mac hardware. I don't understand why, but that's what I was told. The only "fix" or workaround for this is to restart your Mac a different way. Instead of just restarting from the GUI, you need to run the command "sudo fdsetup authrestart" and enter your password. This cache's your password so that FileVault has it when it boots, and will actually boot the operating system. I believe this works with any OSX from 10.8.2 and beyond.

Sep 27, 2020 3:48 PM in response to majortom1967

Ugh.. Switching between two keyboards constantly is a nightmare.. Also, not ergonomic.. I'm in front of my computer at least 8 hours a day, if not more.. So carpal tunnel and mouse elbow are real things for me.. I wish Apple would come out with more ergonomics peripherals. Their mouse and keyboards are just too flat.. They LOOK nice though. ;)

Sep 27, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Teejeaux

Hi Teejeaux,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like your bluetooth connection isn't automatically enabling when you turn on your MacBook. right? If so, let's follow the steps we've linked below to ensure all of your settings are correct, to ensure proper pairing.

Using a Bluetooth mouse, keyboard, or trackpad with your Mac

Cheers!

Sep 27, 2020 1:46 PM in response to majortom1967

What I've been told is it's basically hit and miss as to whether or not your specific hardware will work. It has to be supported natively, which is why the Mac keyboard and Mouse works fine. I'm using a Logitech Ergo keyboard and mouse because they both have buttons to switch from one computer to another. I work for a company that doesn't allow us to use the Logitech Unifying hardware because it's not secure, so I use the Bluetooth for the Mac (company owned) and Unifying for my home workstation. I can say that using the command above, it works perfectly. The system comes back up after restart and I don't have to open the Mac up to put in the password.

Sep 27, 2020 2:38 PM in response to majortom1967

Thanks! There's quite the hail storm about this issue all over Reddit and other social media places. Some people are blaming Logitech, some blaming Apple.. The reason the Unifying receiver works is because it's a USB key, and USB comes up with FileVault. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to use it on my company Mac.. The only problem I still have now is complete shutdowns. There's no way to shut it down, and restart it without opening up the Mac, or having a Magic Keyboard attached..

Bluetooth drivers don't load until after login?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.