Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable the SIP in OS 10.15.6 Catalina

How can I TEMPORARILY disable the SIP in OS 10.15.6 Catalina

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 4:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 7:54 AM

Hi Eau Rouge,

Thank you for replying. Now I get it, that's why I have two disks in Container disk 1 and I couldn't understand why.

You are absolutely right, please see enclosed image. Thanks again.

6 replies

Sep 22, 2020 5:51 AM in response to patric97

Catalina does not let you add, remove or edit any files contained in the System disk.

If you look at Catalina from Disk Utility you will see it is split into two disks.

Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data.

The first one Macintosh HD or whatever you called it is read only and cannot be modified by the user

even with SIP disabled.

Macintosh HD - Data is the Users disk and can be modified.

Sep 22, 2020 5:46 AM in response to patric97

Your order is backwards.

You must start up in Recovery, then use Terminal in Recovery to enter the command.

However, you likely don't need to disable SIP (still, maybe).

That folder is mounted on the Read Only volume on the startup drive. So, it may not be protected by SIP.

The only way to remove those files would be via Terminal in Recovery so that the drive is mounted read/write.

If it has FileVault enabled, you would need to go into Disk Utility (in Recovery) and mount the volume before going to Terminal.

How can I disable the SIP in OS 10.15.6 Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.