Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch fall detection without iPhone.

My Mom is interested in the fall detection feature. She has an iPad but no iPhone. If she gets the watch with cellular, does she need an iPhone?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:00 AM

No, you cannot pair an Watch with an iPad.

But if you have an iPhone then you can buy your mum an Watch Series 6 and then configure for her with your iPhone.

Read here => Set up a family member’s Apple Watch - Apple Support

4 replies

Sep 22, 2020 6:07 AM in response to kbenson41

Yes, to use an activate an Apple watch you have to have an iPhone even with a cellular watch. If she keeps her phone nearby she doesn't need cellular for her watch. That is what I do as I also bought mine for fall detection. The cellular is good in case she goes somewhere and forgets her phone then fall detection works anywhere. Cellular watch usually adds ten or fifteen dollars to your cellular plan in USA. If you hook her watch to the family plan instead of her own iPhone be sure to get the cellular watch then she is covered even if you’re not there.

Watch fall detection without iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.