Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie App cannot be updated

I just received a new wonderful iMac 2020 27" i9 with Catalina fully updated.

Everything runs perfectly, I just have problems with iMovie (and same with GarageBand but I don't use it).

iMovie works correctly but the App Store propose me an update. When I try to install the update, I get the following message "The iMovie app cannot be updated because it was refunded or purchased with another Apple ID" (translated from Italian, could be different in English).

I never had another Apple ID and, for what I know, iMovie is free and cannot thus be refunded. In any case, it is currently working. The problem is just with the update process.

Someone would kindly help me?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 6:42 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 22, 2020 8:23 AM in response to gbecattini

Hi, gbecattini,

Congrats on getting your new Mac.

First, I suggest that you do not update to iMovie 10.1.15 yet. There have been many glitches and bugs reported with that particular version. I would wait until Apple has resolved the issues.

The "refunded or purchased with another Apple I.D." notification recently has been reported by posters on this forum following the update to Catalina. I don't know why that is happening. You said that you "received" your new Mac. Possibly was it a gift from someone who purchased it with his/her Apple I.D?

You might try contacting Apple Support to see if the techs there can solve this. Click on the Contact Support icon in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate from the Mac software category to a place where you can input your phone number.

-- Rich

Sep 24, 2020 11:41 AM in response to Rich839

I solved this point. I have another Mac (MacBook Pro i7 2016) from which I uninstalled iMovie and Garageband (don'r remind why).

I reinstalled iMovie on the old Mac. Then I could update iMovie on the new iMac. But still Garageband gave me the error message.

Then I reinstalled Garageband on the old Mac. Again, I could update Garageband also on the new iMac.

Perhaps some uninvestigable logic by the Apple Store....

iMovie App cannot be updated

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.