Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unread Message Count Wrong on iMessage (Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.6)

The iMessage badge count on my MBP is *way* off--noting 45 new messages whereas my other apple devices currently show 16 unread messages / texts in iMessage. iMessage on the mac is synced with iCloud. I have tried terminal "killall Dock" to no avail. Restarting the app / computer etc. has not worked either. Any help?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 8:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 9:13 AM

Ryan Griffith wrote:

The iMessage badge count on my MBP is *way* off--noting 45 new messages whereas my other apple devices currently show 16 unread messages / texts in iMessage. iMessage on the mac is synced with iCloud. I have tried terminal "killall Dock" to no avail. Restarting the app / computer etc. has not worked either. Any help?

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 9:13 AM in response to Ryan Griffith

Ryan Griffith wrote:

Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Reboot and test as caches get rebuilt.

Unread Message Count Wrong on iMessage (Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.