Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot into live system

Hey! I have a live usb with linux (ubuntu) but when i try to boot into , it goes macos recovery mode giving this error Unable to Verify Startup Disk. Thanks !

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 11:08 PM

If you have a Mac with the T2 security chip, then you need to disable Secure Boot and allow booting from USB:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

You are going to have issues running Linux on bare metal on the 2016+ Apple laptops since the Linux kernel doesn't have the necessary drivers to support the hardware of the 2016+ Apple laptops. I've read that it may be possible to run Linux on these laptops if you grab the out of tree kernel drivers, but even with these drivers some things such as WiFi won't work due to Broadcom not supplying the Linux community with the necessary firmware for their WiFi chips.

You will do much better installing Linux into a Virtual Machine. I do not recommend installing Linux to the internal drive. If you want to install Linux on bare metal then install it to an external drive so you minimize the chances of damaging macOS.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 11:08 PM in response to ps160

If you have a Mac with the T2 security chip, then you need to disable Secure Boot and allow booting from USB:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

You are going to have issues running Linux on bare metal on the 2016+ Apple laptops since the Linux kernel doesn't have the necessary drivers to support the hardware of the 2016+ Apple laptops. I've read that it may be possible to run Linux on these laptops if you grab the out of tree kernel drivers, but even with these drivers some things such as WiFi won't work due to Broadcom not supplying the Linux community with the necessary firmware for their WiFi chips.

You will do much better installing Linux into a Virtual Machine. I do not recommend installing Linux to the internal drive. If you want to install Linux on bare metal then install it to an external drive so you minimize the chances of damaging macOS.

Cannot boot into live system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.