Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine (Photos and iCloud Drive Optimize Storage) in MacBook Pro.

Hello everybody, thank you for reading me.

I have a MacBook Pro with 256GB of Disk Storage and I have to set Optimize Storage for Photos / Videos and for iCloud Drive, since my Photo Library is much larger than 256GB.

I also monthly pay for 2TB of iCloud Storage. I understand that original full resolution Photos and Videos are in iCloud, but I also want to have a Local Backup (using an external 2TB disk) using Time Machine.

But according to Apple, my Time Machine Backup IS NOT a Backup of my Original Full Resolution Photos and Videos.

1) Is there any way to solve this? 2) Or any other alternative to have a Local Backup? 3) Or any program to automatically backup directly from iCloud?

Thank you!.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 1:28 PM

To get a Photos library with all of the full sized photos and videos create a new library on the external HD. Make it the System Photo Library and enable the iCloud Library. Do not enable Optimize Mac Storage.

It will take a while to download and populate that library with all of your photos and videos depending on the number to be downloaded.

When the download is completed open your original library in your Pictures folder and make it the System Photos Library and enable iCloud Library. It will appear to go thru another download but it's only comparing what's in the local library to what's in the iCloud library and syncing when necessary.

It won't be straight forward to keep the external library updated to match what's in your primary library. That's a topic for another time.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2020 1:28 PM in response to lea-law

To get a Photos library with all of the full sized photos and videos create a new library on the external HD. Make it the System Photo Library and enable the iCloud Library. Do not enable Optimize Mac Storage.

It will take a while to download and populate that library with all of your photos and videos depending on the number to be downloaded.

When the download is completed open your original library in your Pictures folder and make it the System Photos Library and enable iCloud Library. It will appear to go thru another download but it's only comparing what's in the local library to what's in the iCloud library and syncing when necessary.

It won't be straight forward to keep the external library updated to match what's in your primary library. That's a topic for another time.

Sep 22, 2020 2:10 PM in response to lea-law

You may want to have a look at this user tip:

How to back up an optimized iCloud Photos Library - Apple Community

There is no easy way to back up a large iCloud Photos Library automatically and easily, when you are using "Optimise Storage". If your library is large, the best method is to avoid the "Optimise Storage" feature, particularly on a portable Mac, where you do not want to have to keep an external volume connected at all times. The next best method is using a second user account, where you are keeping a not-optimised Photos Library on an external volume, that is syncing with the same iCloud Photos Library. Having the second user account will avoid the necessity to switch between your optimised system photo library and the non-optimised backup library. having to switch between the libraries for syncing with iCloud will take many days, if your library is large.

Sep 22, 2020 9:57 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your answer. The post you linked to finalizes saying “The easy way out is to avoid the Optimize Storage option for iCloud Photos.” But iCloud Photos is one of the best feature of the entire ecosystem... what other good way to manage photos can you recommend? You don’t see the “second user account” as a good solution? Thank you 🙏 again.

Sep 23, 2020 9:50 AM in response to lea-law

Since you're always going to be limited by storage space with your laptop you might give this portable, external SSD a consideration: OWC Envoy Pro mini, The 1 TB model would be sufficient to store and run your library from and with a non-optimized library as well as other files. It's small enough to be easily transported with the laptop. Just some food for thought.

Sep 23, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello again and thanks for your answer. That SSD would be a solution.

I have a 2TB Airport Time Capsule. What do yo think if I move my iCloud Photo Library there? Is it possible for the Airport Time Capsule to manage my iCloud Photo Library and my Time Machine Backups?

Also, it’d be great for me to hear your opinion about “2 user” solution with iCloud Photo Library in External Hard Drive. So I would have “Optimized Storage Set Up” in my “Main User” so I can have access my library on the go, and “Full Resolution” Set in 2 User with iCloud Photo Library place in External Hard Disk. If this works, to keep both libraries Synced, I would just need to login to my (2 user) and wait until new stuff is downloaded from the iCloud.

Time Machine (Photos and iCloud Drive Optimize Storage) in MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.