Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fitness steps differ than health app steps

My fitness steps (app that connects to my Apple Watch) are different than my Apple health steps. This is an important difference to me because my health app connects to my health insurance app and it’s saying I’m not reaching 10,000 steps a day (which I am according to my Apple Watch), and therefore will not he eligible for a credit. Is there a way to fix this?

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2020 2:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2020 6:32 AM

Is your iPhone also counting steps?

I have mine turned off as I always wear my watch and don't always carry my phone.

iPhone>Settings>Privacy>Motion & Fitness>Fitness Tracking>Toggle off

9 replies

Sep 23, 2020 6:54 AM in response to Hayl_dip

Same problem.

It looks like the health app disregards steps done during walking exercise, or it's doing some weird calculation between the steps registered by the watch and on the phone. The watch is set as prio 1, but then in my world the watch should always have a lower count if the numbers are not equal.

As I write this, I have 4876 steps registered on my watch, 4876 registered in fitness app on phone. The health app however is counting 2885 steps.

You can manually input steps into health app(add data, top right corner when you see the graph. Be sure to add steps on a time where no other steps are recorded, like early morning or late evening) , but I'm unsure if that will make your insurance people happy?

Nov 17, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Hayl_dip

I, also, have this issue and Apple does not seem to be addressing it. I feel like the only thing I can do is try to reset the phone, and watch, back to factory default and start from scratch. It would be helpful if Apple actually provided an answer for us. I can’t even contact support even though this problem happened as a result of their IOS upgrade. How can the steps in the Health app not match the watch when it is the first option?

Nov 18, 2020 5:52 AM in response to Hayl_dip

I have the same problem, Apple Watch says 8509, Fitness App on iPhone says 8509, Health App says 3952!! In the Health App, under Data Sources and Access -> Apple Watch I have recorded against my watch only 2169 steps, under Data Sources and Access -> iPhone I have recorded 4009 steps. I expect some of these to be duplicate.

This problem would appear to have arrived with the latest update, to Watch or iOS I am not sure.

I can also report that the histogram of stand hours is missing a few bars on the Fitness and Health App. However it has accounted for my stand hours correctly and the ring is closed.

Would appear to be a bug (undocumented feature?), Apple please fix ASAP.

Fitness steps differ than health app steps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.