Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS or GPS+cellular for text and calls on watch

If I want to use Apple Watch to text or make calls does the series 6 GPS do that using WIFI Bluetooth signal or do I have to buy GPS + cellular? I am thinking of buying Apple Watch instead of another Fitbit, hope Apple Watch will not be losing Bluetooth signal on my I phone 11 pro. I am tired to it not syncing.

thanks for any information that you have. Help

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 3:06 PM

The GPS only model will do Everything the cellular model will do as long as your iPhone is nearby. In some cases with just WiFi if you are on a WiFi network.

SMS/MMS for both GPS and Cellular still requires passing the message through the iPhone, but in the case of Cellular, the iPhone just needs to be connected to the Internet so the Apple Watch can find it and using it as a relay.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 3:06 PM in response to Surefootedlady

The GPS only model will do Everything the cellular model will do as long as your iPhone is nearby. In some cases with just WiFi if you are on a WiFi network.

SMS/MMS for both GPS and Cellular still requires passing the message through the iPhone, but in the case of Cellular, the iPhone just needs to be connected to the Internet so the Apple Watch can find it and using it as a relay.

GPS or GPS+cellular for text and calls on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.