You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14 HDMI mirroring problem

Hello!

On the current iOS 14 The HDMI adapter is not being detected. The phone is charging using the adapter, but not the screen mirroring.

Tried using another iPhone with iOS 13 installed and it worked fine.

Thank you for any advice!

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 10:12 AM

50 replies

Nov 8, 2020 10:42 AM in response to Cth4

Try toggling the settings under General/AirPlay & Handoff ... when mine stops working I toggle the three setting off and on then leave it on automatic then re-plug-in the adapter.... also respect my hdmi setting on the tv.... it’s a crap shoot but I always get it working again .... sorry it’s so non specific but I think ios14 is looking for a smart TVs which I do not have

Dec 6, 2020 3:21 AM in response to DevNemesis

Solution that working for me.

Have an iPhone SE2020, IOS 14.2.

Nothing worked.

I have a Chinese HDMI adapter (with 2 USBs). Plugged in power lightning cable, HDMI cable, an vs phone.

Noticed that Adapter Menu showed on Dumb TV (running from adapter), and that it showed a picture of an iPhone with WIFI and Bluetooth turned ON!

Well, I didn't think it was necessary in my attempts before... but i turned both ON.... And it all worked!

By the way.. Airplay was OFF in settings.

Display Zoom was Off.

(Some people suggest toggling them.. But didn't work for me).

I really hope that this helps you!

Sep 28, 2020 8:35 AM in response to DevNemesis

I too am having this issue. I use an Ipad mini 4 and connect via the lightning port HDMI adapter. It charges through the adapter, but the HDMI no longer works. It does stop audio as if it is sending the audio through the port, but it does not send anything to the monitor/projector/TV etc.. If I try an iPhone that did NOT upgraded to IOS14, it works fine. After the upgrade, the iPhone no longer works.

IOS14 must have a bug that has disabled the HDMI port.

This is a HUGE problem as we use this all the time for projector use and other monitor use with our Apple devices.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Sep 28, 2020 12:16 AM in response to DevNemesis

I also have the same problem, my mirroring has been okay. But when I try to watch videos on YouTube, Shudder and some channels that are on Apple TV+ They aren’t playing except the audio only.

I have not tried Netflix yet.

i live in an area where I can’t watch or use my old Apple TV hardware because I don’t have WiFi but I can stream on my phone with the adapter. Now since I updated I can’t

Sep 29, 2020 12:51 PM in response to DevNemesis

Me too I can‘t play Movies via HDMI lighning adapter to my beamer. Worked fine with iOS 13. There is an error popping up that my screen is not authorized to play protected movies. I have been watching movies for half a year using the same adapter and beamer and it always worked. I hope it‘s fixed soon, the beamer was expensive and I want my big screen back..

Oct 2, 2020 11:00 PM in response to DevNemesis

SAME problem here..... tried two HDMI adapters...... works fine with a friends phone with IOS13..... Stopped letting me play video on Netflix, Amazon Video AND on YouTube.... gives me a the famous black screen with sound .... I have been able to get it to work a few times but I don't have a repeatable set of instructions to pass along.... it looks like it EXPECTS a 'smart tv' in order to work...... well.... I'm using a standard flat screen tv..... sorry !!! everything points to IOS14 expecting to see a smart tv and connecting over wifi on a local network...... I turn things on and off and reconnect repeatedly and in different orders and after 30 minutes or trials it suddenly plays my movie just fine...... then I don't dare touch anything.... this started for me with IOS 14.0.1

Oct 5, 2020 12:32 PM in response to ipounder

Well... I thought I found a solution only to discover I had to toggle the AirPlay setting more... I told it connect to a tv via a connection code (but not having smart TV this would not seem to work of course) ... anyhow after doing this a couple times I can now successfully play videos from YouTube, Amazon Video and Netflix (without the black screen just sound issue) I really think the problem might be related to ios14 now ‘expecting’ to see a SMART tv on a local network... sorry if this might make it more confusing but it does seem connected to the AirPlay controls

Oct 5, 2020 11:31 PM in response to ipounder

I have this exact same issue after having upgraded to 14.0.1 on my iPhone 11. I regularly use the Apple AV hdmi adapter to mirror my iPhone to my TV screen. Mirror works fine but once I try to play any videos from Netflix, Amazon video, Hulu, Disney+, or YouTube the screen goes black and only audio can be heard. Oddly closed captioning does appear but no video at all. Seems like an issue when iPhone goes into “TV” mode to play video on external devices... This is a major issue and should be treated as a “blocker” bug. Please fix asap. Thanks!

Oct 8, 2020 12:46 PM in response to DevNemesis

When a youtube video or netflix video displays a black screen but with sound.... I quickly pause it then go to Setting/Genera/Airplay&Handoff/Automatically AirPlay to TVs....... then I TOGGLE between "ask" and "never" (twice for good measure) then I leave it set to "never" ....... when I go back to youtube it's now playing the video as normal..... same with Netflix..... but youtube seems a little problematic and sometimes when I switch to another video I have to repeat the process.... but FINALLY I have a bandaid fix that works every single time now (for me.. that is)...... just wanted to share this...... IOS 14.0.1

iOS 14 HDMI mirroring problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.