Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File sharing between iMac and Windows

I can access files that are on my iMac from my Windows PC however when I try to access files that are on my Windows PC from my iMac (by going into Finder > Network > WindowsPC I cannot access any files. The screen will say Connecting... for a while, and then say Connection failed.

How can I view Windows files from my iMac?

Thank you,

Humam

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 1:43 PM

There are mulitple ways to accomplish this task. The first option detailed in this article involves sending files over a network; once the machines are connected, you can use either the Mac or the PC as the host. Other options include using a USB storage device (USB flash drive or hard drive), and using Microsoft OneDrive. Most affiliations at the University are aligible for 1 TB of storage space at this service hosted by Microsoft.

Via network using Windows as the host

1.  File sharing first needs to be enabled on the Windows machine. This process is different depending on the version of Windows.
  • Windows 7:
      • Go to Control Panel
      • Choose Network and Sharing Center
      • Choose Homegroup and Sharing options
      • Change Advanced Sharing Settings
      • Under the File and Printer Sharing section click "Turn on File and Printer Sharing"
  • Save Changes
  • Windows 8:
      • Go to Control Panel
      • Choose Network and Internet
      • Under the File and Printer Sharing section click "Turn on File and Printer Sharing"
  • Save Changes
  • Windows 10:
      • Go to Settings
      • Choose Network and Internet
      • Choose Sharing Options
  • Save Changes
  1. Next, we need to connect to the Windows machine from the Mac. You can do this in one of two ways:
  • Option 1:
      • Open up a finder window, and on the left pane you will see shared machines under the "Shared" heading
      • Find the name of the windows machine you wish to share with
  • Click on the machine to bring up a folder view where you can drag and drop files to/from the shared folder
  • Option 2 (more advanced):
      • Select finder
      • Click Go > Connect to Server (Shortcut for this is Command+K)
  • Type in the prefix smb:// followed by the ip address or hostname of the windows machine. For example: smb://192.168.1.102 or smb://MyPC
    • If you need to connect via IP address, (on the PC) simply click the wifi connection icon in the lower-left of the screen and click "Properties" next to the network you're connected to

https://service.uoregon.edu/TDClient/2030/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=33750

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2020 1:43 PM in response to humam161

There are mulitple ways to accomplish this task. The first option detailed in this article involves sending files over a network; once the machines are connected, you can use either the Mac or the PC as the host. Other options include using a USB storage device (USB flash drive or hard drive), and using Microsoft OneDrive. Most affiliations at the University are aligible for 1 TB of storage space at this service hosted by Microsoft.

Via network using Windows as the host

1.  File sharing first needs to be enabled on the Windows machine. This process is different depending on the version of Windows.
  • Windows 7:
      • Go to Control Panel
      • Choose Homegroup and Sharing options
  • Save Changes
  • Windows 8:
      • Go to Control Panel
      • Choose Network and Internet
  • Save Changes
  • Windows 10:
      • Go to Settings
      • Choose Network and Internet
      • Choose Sharing Options
  • Save Changes
  1. Next, we need to connect to the Windows machine from the Mac. You can do this in one of two ways:
  • Option 1:
      • Open up a finder window, and on the left pane you will see shared machines under the "Shared" heading
      • Find the name of the windows machine you wish to share with
  • Click on the machine to bring up a folder view where you can drag and drop files to/from the shared folder
  • Option 2 (more advanced):
      • Select finder
      • Click Go > Connect to Server (Shortcut for this is Command+K)
  • Type in the prefix smb:// followed by the ip address or hostname of the windows machine. For example: smb://192.168.1.102 or smb://MyPC
    • If you need to connect via IP address, (on the PC) simply click the wifi connection icon in the lower-left of the screen and click "Properties" next to the network you're connected to

https://service.uoregon.edu/TDClient/2030/Portal/KB/ArticleDet?ID=33750

File sharing between iMac and Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.