Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In pages how do I set the default paper setting as A4 instead of US Letter?

In pages for Mac I recall I had set my default page size to be A4. So every time I'd open a new document the page size would default to A4. Now after reinstalling MacOS I'm trying to find the same setting again but I cant seem to figure it out. Either its been removed or I cant seem to find it.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 6:50 AM

5 replies

Sep 26, 2020 6:34 AM in response to abulfromkrypton

Hi abulfromkrypton,

Please follow the advice given by SG.

Open the default template (it will open as a new document) and change the paper size as suggested by SG, or you can change the paper size here:

Set the Paper Size to A4

to change the measurement units between metric and inches, change that in Pages >Preference > Rulers

Menu > File >Save As Template.

It will be saved in Template Chooser under My Templates.

In Pages > Preferences > General > For New Documents > Use template

With those settings, Menu > File > New (command N) will automatically open that template.

Note: with those settings, you must hold down the option key to see "Menu > File > New" change to "New from Template Chooser"

Regards,

Ian.

Sep 25, 2020 6:14 AM in response to abulfromkrypton

The setting, as you probably already know, is here:

One way would be to change the setting there, save the document as a template, and use the template when you start a new document.

Note you can also set 'Default paper size' in System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. I don't have a printer so I can't test whether Pages will respect that preference.

SG

Sep 26, 2020 5:19 AM in response to abulfromkrypton

abulfromkrypton wrote:

Is there no way to change the paper size in the default template to A4? Changing region settings/Printer paper settings/ A terminal command?

There may be a way by setting your Mac to a different region.

But I am reluctant to test that because simply setting up the document the way you want and saving it under My Templates (File > Save as Template ...) does the job nicely.

SG

In pages how do I set the default paper setting as A4 instead of US Letter?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.