Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad not sending text messages to non Apple users while out of the US

My iPad is not sending text messages to a non Apple user. My setting is set to my iPhone number which works, but the iPad will not send the text.

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 7:34 AM

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As the iPhone acts as a relay for your iPad to send/receive SMS messages, it follows that while “travelling” outside the area for which your iPhone has an active cellular contract and coverage, the iPhone must be able to “roam” to other cellular networks.

I hope you find this information to be helpful in resolving the issue.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 7:34 AM in response to Gonzy1107

You must explicitly enable Text Message Forwarding for your iPad on your iPhone.

On your iPhone:

Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding - set to ON - and explicitly enable your iPad from the list of devices.

Also ensure that Messages in iCloud is enabled on both your iPhone and iPad:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Messages - set to ON

More information:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Fault finding if needed:

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As the iPhone acts as a relay for your iPad to send/receive SMS messages, it follows that while “travelling” outside the area for which your iPhone has an active cellular contract and coverage, the iPhone must be able to “roam” to other cellular networks.

I hope you find this information to be helpful in resolving the issue.

IPad not sending text messages to non Apple users while out of the US

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.