Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t log in to my MacBook

When I turn on my MacBook, it takes me a gray screen with my profile saying, “[update Needed]”. When I type in the password, it is incorrect. I lt does not let me click the question mark, so there is no way that I can try to reset my password. The only access that I have to the computer is through the guest user, but I need my main user.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 9:01 AM

ahuva208 Said:

"I can’t log in to my MacBook: When I turn on my MacBook, it takes me a gray screen with my profile saying, “[update Needed]”. When I type in the password, it is incorrect. I lt does not let me click the question mark, so there is no way that I can try to reset my password. The only access that I have to the computer is through the guest user, but I need my main user."

-------

Press the return Key:

Once the password is entered, try pressing the return key, rather than clicking on the question mark.

• If that is of no success, then Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. It might take up to three times to reset each, so be certain you have the time to reset them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2020 9:01 AM in response to ahuva208

ahuva208 Said:

"I can’t log in to my MacBook: When I turn on my MacBook, it takes me a gray screen with my profile saying, “[update Needed]”. When I type in the password, it is incorrect. I lt does not let me click the question mark, so there is no way that I can try to reset my password. The only access that I have to the computer is through the guest user, but I need my main user."

-------

Press the return Key:

Once the password is entered, try pressing the return key, rather than clicking on the question mark.

• If that is of no success, then Reset your SMC and your NVRAM:

Sometimes changes (i.e. updates) are made to the system and then settings (i.e. for the keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset both on your Mac. It might take up to three times to reset each, so be certain you have the time to reset them.

I can’t log in to my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.