Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Orange dot - listening to iPhone calls?

Hi,

I’ve read the orange dot means an app is using the microphone. It appeared when making a phone call. I’ve turned off the microphone for all apps and I don’t have Siri turned on. The orange dot still appears when making a phone call. Does this mean someone is listening to my phone calls?

thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11

Posted on Sep 24, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2020 7:47 PM

Hey there, LT012.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for posting about the new notification that you're seeing when using an app that uses the microphone. We'd be glad to help you out.

You mentioned that you turned off the microphone for all apps in the list in Settings > Privacy > Microphone. One app that you likely won't see in that list is the Phone app, which is what you use when handling normal phone calls on an iPhone, so you're seeing the orange light because the Phone app is using your microphone while you talk on the phone. This is expected.

More info about this new feature are available in the "Review or change access to the camera, microphone, and other hardware features" section of Control access to hardware features on iPhone.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Be well.

122 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2020 7:47 PM in response to LT012

Hey there, LT012.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for posting about the new notification that you're seeing when using an app that uses the microphone. We'd be glad to help you out.

You mentioned that you turned off the microphone for all apps in the list in Settings > Privacy > Microphone. One app that you likely won't see in that list is the Phone app, which is what you use when handling normal phone calls on an iPhone, so you're seeing the orange light because the Phone app is using your microphone while you talk on the phone. This is expected.

More info about this new feature are available in the "Review or change access to the camera, microphone, and other hardware features" section of Control access to hardware features on iPhone.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Be well.

Oct 27, 2020 5:29 PM in response to greekgodss

I absolutely agree....The microphone recording has nothing to do with making phone calls. Are incoming as well as outgoing phone calls being recorded? It’s a simple yes or no answer that I would appreciate from Apple....Don’t get me wrong, I am not naive to the fact that this HAS been happening BEFORE the orange dot...I’ve always suspected...Especially when adds pop up concerning the very topic being discussed shortly after having a conversation with someone...As well as being able to be watched through the camera...lol I’ve always been “that person” whose put tape over ANY lens...even on our computer...These very conversations are the reasons why...After this latest feature being installed (which I truly do appreciate having) I would think Apple would have been prepared to answer these questions...After all, they are the ones who “want to protect our privacy”...Or is that from everyone else BUT them?

Nov 21, 2020 11:01 AM in response to blingblizzy

You are misinterpreting the point of the indicator.

Your iPhone has a microphone and camera(s). These are devices that can be used to listen or see.

So it's a privacy concern right?

The orange dot simply tells you that your microphone is being used. The green dot tells you that your camera is being used.

About the orange and green indicators in your iPhone status bar - Apple Support

When on a phone call, clearly the microphone will be used.. it's not something you need to monitor while on a phone call. But if you look and see that it's on, it should not be a surprise or a concern. Same concept for a FaceTime or Zoom call, with the green dot.

What these indicators should do is alert you to microphone and/or camera being used when not expected.

ie if you are not on a call and you are say.. reading thru your emails or typing up a shopping list in the Notes app and you notice the orange light is on, you'd then need to wonder what app is listening in the background.

Dec 2, 2020 11:20 AM in response to DumbBlondeDeb

DumbBlondeDeb wrote:

Neither did I but it’s because they do listen. Turn whatever you want off. It doesn’t matter. Everything you say, record, send, receive...is recorded. It is sold to companies and employers. This IS our reality.

Here is Apple’s privacy statement, which refutes what you posted ➡️ https://www.apple.com/privacy/

If you believe Apple is LYING in their privacy statement you should immediately get rid of all of your Apple products, and probably contact a lawyer.

But think about it: If Apple really is spying on you, why would they add a clear signal that they were? Why wouldn’t they keep it secret?

Oct 1, 2020 5:47 AM in response to LT012

So what if I have my microphone turned off an all apps, and it is my iPad that keeps showing the orange dot? I don’t use SIRI and my iPad can’t make calls, so I’m unsure how I can figure out what I can turn off to stop this. I am sure my iPad does listen to conversations in the room, as I get ads targeted to things I’ve talked about and not searched. FB is one place I see the ads, but FB isn’t even listed on the microphone page.

Oct 31, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Benji7879

Benji7879 wrote:

I didn’t see you answer the question. Is Apple now recording or listening to our phone calls and is that why the orange dot now on when I make a phone call

No. Why would you think Apple would be so silly as to show an orange indicator if they were recording your conversation? If they wanted to record your conversations, they have 100% control of the software, meaning YOU would not know if they were recording.

Nov 10, 2020 10:18 AM in response to stedman1

First of all, they are not answering a simple question. Second, it actually says that the orange dot is an app using your microphone to record. Third, apple support said, "One app that you likely WON"T see in that list is the Phone app, which

is what you use when handling normal phone calls on an iPhone, so you're seeing the orange light because the Phone app is using your microphone while you talk on the phone. This is expected." There you go!! we cant see iphone phone app is actuallly using the app why cant we see that????? this is where i think they are corrupt but hey they r not the only thing corrupt in the US. no one does anything so they will keep doing it.. we cant make or break them so they dont give a rats ***.

Nov 17, 2020 9:05 AM in response to SondogActual

No, they are not. The purpose of the light is to let you know that an app on the iPhone is using the microphone. When you swipe down to see Control Center it will tell you what app. It will show it is the phone if you are on a phone call and that just shows the microphone is active, not that it is recording anything. Apple does not monitor or record your phone calls.

Orange dot - listening to iPhone calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.