Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos from Mac uploading to iCloud extremely slow

Hi Everyone,

I am moving my old collection of photos from harddisk to iCloud. There are 500,000+ photos. I am doing in batches of 50,000 only to not make it too heavy. I have constant 300 MBPS connection. However, the upload is happening extremely slowly. It took around 6 days for 1250 photos to be uploaded. These old photos are also less in size hence this is difficult to understand why it is stuck.

In parallel, I uploaded the entire 1 TB of photos/videos in Dropbox and Google Photos which finished the full upload in 1.5 days in Dropbox and in 4 days in Google Photos via Drive.

Can you please help what could be wrong?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 4:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 10:46 AM

Photos is not just uploading the photos, it is merging them into the existing iCloud Photos Library, checking for duplicates and solving conflicts. My library with 50000 photos took roughly ten days to upload to iCloud. The upload will be slower, if the library in iCloud is already large.

Similar questions

1 reply

Photos from Mac uploading to iCloud extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.