Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My own public ip cannot be accessed on MacBook when it's on the local network

There are one MacBook, one iPhone and one NAS on my local network. I can access my NAS with my public IP on my iPhone but not on my MacBook. Interestingly if I move the MacBook to other places outside my home network, I'm able to access my NAS with that home public IP. I'll appreciate if there any advices to troubleshoot.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2020 6:05 PM

You may be missing some port-forwarding port configuration expected by the Mac, but not by the iPhone. You’ll also need to be sure of whether you’re selecting and running SMB or AFP, as well. And any security that the NAS might provide.

I’d move to public IP addresses for all your equipment, if you want this to work the way you’re seemingly envisioning. (I’m not fond of opening up ports to an unrestricted internal network.)

Or move to a firewall-based VPN server, as that’ll both secure your NAS traffic, and will keep miscreants from poking directly at your internal network without having first breached your VPN server.

Expect most miscreants will also be probing all accessible devices here too, either at public IP addresses without firewall protection, or on private IP addresses with port-forwarding (and with no other security measures) enabled.

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2020 6:05 PM in response to GeorgeLuCN

You may be missing some port-forwarding port configuration expected by the Mac, but not by the iPhone. You’ll also need to be sure of whether you’re selecting and running SMB or AFP, as well. And any security that the NAS might provide.

I’d move to public IP addresses for all your equipment, if you want this to work the way you’re seemingly envisioning. (I’m not fond of opening up ports to an unrestricted internal network.)

Or move to a firewall-based VPN server, as that’ll both secure your NAS traffic, and will keep miscreants from poking directly at your internal network without having first breached your VPN server.

Expect most miscreants will also be probing all accessible devices here too, either at public IP addresses without firewall protection, or on private IP addresses with port-forwarding (and with no other security measures) enabled.

TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products - Apple Support

My own public ip cannot be accessed on MacBook when it's on the local network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.