Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule WiFi settings

I want to use an old Time capsule for Storage. The only way I can find to manage it is through Airport Utility. If I turn wifi off through:

Airport Utility ; Wireless ; Network Mode ; OFF then how do I access the Time Capsule to manage it or turn wifi back on?

Thanks

P

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2020 6:56 PM

We will assume that you have the Time Capsule connected to your main router using a wired Ethernet cable, correct? That is the only way that the Time Capsule can connect to a 3rd party router.

You have two options to access the settings on the Time Capsule:

1) Connect your Mac to your main wireless network and then use AirPort Utility to select the Time Capsule.

2) Connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac to one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule and use AirPort Utility to select the Time Capsule.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2020 6:56 PM in response to kiwiappleman

We will assume that you have the Time Capsule connected to your main router using a wired Ethernet cable, correct? That is the only way that the Time Capsule can connect to a 3rd party router.

You have two options to access the settings on the Time Capsule:

1) Connect your Mac to your main wireless network and then use AirPort Utility to select the Time Capsule.

2) Connect an Ethernet cable from your Mac to one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the Time Capsule and use AirPort Utility to select the Time Capsule.

Sep 26, 2020 7:22 PM in response to kiwiappleman

One of those undocumented eccentricities of Apple.. the Airport Utility as a totally unique app to the airport routers..

You can select ethernet in the LEAST obvious location.

I happen to have exactly what Bob described. a Time Capsule connected by ethernet to network and also plugged into the computer.. but not using it directly for networking other than for test things.

The option to select ethernet is under

Other WiFi Devices..

isn't that a blindly obvious location for a totally unnecessary option??

Since when on a network do I need to specify access if it is by ethernet or wifi.. but somehow with Apple it does.. weird.

Note a few other little twigs and figs you need to fix.

Use a Static IP on the Internet tab..

Turn IPv6 to link local only (internet options tab)

Fix Domain.. which is a bit more complicated depending on ISP and main router.. because for now and evermore the TC is in local domain.

Access by IP might work better than name.. since bonjour can fail badly in some routers.

This will cause the Airport to disappear from the network.. which is why you need static IP and ability to mount the TC share by IP.

Can give more if you need it.

Sep 26, 2020 7:33 PM in response to kiwiappleman

Will the Time Capsule work as NAS?

Sort of; Kind of; yes and no.

It is a lousy NAS.. although many people use it as such.

NOTE the following..

It cannot back itself up.. there is an archive function.. this will backup everything to a USB drive of equal size to the TC disk.. and it takes around 24hours for 2TB..

It supports only two protocols, AFP and SMB1 both of which are deprecated. Apple is totally moving away from AFP although it is still supported without any love in Catalina.. and is the reason many people have issues with unreliable backups. SMB1 should not be used due to security failures. Apple use only SMB3 in later products like iOS. Turning SMB1 back on in windows is possible but risky.

Any other setting doc change?

I have a couple of other rules.

Names.. short, no spaces and pure alphanumerics.

Passwords same rules but 8-20 characters or more if you suffer paranoia.

Make sure you use only WPA2 personal. It will give errors in iOS14 without.. but I presume your wifi will be off anyway.

The more important network ones are static IP etc.

Time Capsule WiFi settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.